[comp.unix.questions] DEC error messages

jhc@mtune.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) (12/24/86)

In article <584@mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
>By the way, wharf rat isn't joking about the DEC meaning.  VAXen really
>do have a failed UNIbus address register, and the documentation (eg,
>the architecture reference manual) really does call it the FUBAR.

Absolutely true. DEC do have a sense of humour with their error
messages though - anyone else remember the RSX-11M error IE.NFW? The
error message manual gave it as 'Path lost to partner'. Also true.

--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

My walk has become rather more silly lately.

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (12/26/86)

>DEC do have a sense of humour with their error messages though -
>anyone else remember the RSX-11M error IE.NFW? The error message
>manual gave it as 'Path lost to partner'.

DEC's OS/8 had three ways to invoke TECO - they were TECO, MAKE and
MUNG.  If that in itself was not funny, if you ever typed:
	MAKE LOVE
You would get the response:
	Not war?
and TECO would then fire up as usual.

Alas - I can find nothing funny about VMS.  DEC goes corporate.

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

tli@castor.usc.edu (Tony Li) (12/30/86)

In article <892@ulowell.UUCP> page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:

    DEC's OS/8 had three ways to invoke TECO - they were TECO, MAKE and
    MUNG.  If that in itself was not funny, if you ever typed:
    	MAKE LOVE
    You would get the response:
    	Not war?
    and TECO would then fire up as usual.

    Alas - I can find nothing funny about VMS.  DEC goes corporate.

Actually, this still works under VMS.

For more humor in VMS, though, you have to dig a little deeper.
F'rinstance, with V4.0 there are now two new internal structs for some
of the security code called KGB and CIA.

;-)

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (12/30/86)

Well, on unix if you say 'make love' it says

	"don't know how to make love. Stop."

Serendipitous humor is better than no humor at all I always say
(always?)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (12/31/86)

In article <973@mtune.UUCP> jhc@mtune.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) writes:

>Absolutely true. DEC do have a sense of humour with their error
>messages though - anyone else remember the RSX-11M error IE.NFW? The
>error message manual gave it as 'Path lost to partner'. Also true.

	but the best part was that the error number also matched the
error:

	ie.nfw  -69.  path lost to partner

and I still regularly get this error when the unix machines on the same
ethercable as my rsx/vax decnet go nuts.....

-ed cetron

stevem@fai.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <892@ulowell.UUCP> page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:

>    DEC's OS/8 had three ways to invoke TECO - they were TECO, MAKE and
>    MUNG.  If that in itself was not funny, if you ever typed:
>    	MAKE LOVE
>    You would get the response:
>    	Not war?
>    and TECO would then fire up as usual.
>
>    Alas - I can find nothing funny about VMS.  DEC goes corporate.

Under RSX-11M+ (at around 1983) when the machine was too busy and you
tried to issue another command to the Master Control Routine, it would
respond with "MCR -- later."
--

		Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)
		!seismo!amdahl!fai!stevem  or !ihnp4!pesnta!fai!stevem

The best government is no government at all.

scco@ur-tut.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <583@fai.UUCP> stevem@fai.UUCP (Steve Minneman) writes:
>In article <892@ulowell.UUCP> page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
>>    DEC's OS/8 had three ways to invoke TECO - they were TECO, MAKE and
>>    MUNG.  If that in itself was not funny, if you ever typed:
>>    	MAKE LOVE
>>    You would get the response:
>>    	Not war?
>>    and TECO would then fire up as usual.
>
>Under RSX-11M+ (at around 1983) when the machine was too busy and you
>tried to issue another command to the Master Control Routine, it would
>respond with "MCR -- later."
>--

I worked on a MicroPDP 11/73 running RT-11 this summer.  RT-11 is a
single-user operating system, and had a SHOW command for displaying
various terminal settings, etc.  When you typed SHOW USERS, the response
was

		You're the only one!

The amusing thing was that we were running TSX+ (multi-user RT-11), so
there actually *were* more users, but the authors of TSX hadn't changed
the code for SHOW.

>		Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)
>		!seismo!amdahl!fai!stevem  or !ihnp4!pesnta!fai!stevem

Sean Colbath
UUCP:    ...allegra!rochester!ur-tut!scco
BITNET:  SCCO@UORVM