bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (01/11/87)

From: alan@herman.UUCP (Alan Kiecker)
>One of our directors is on an advisory board to one of our state colleges.
>Currently the college is using a VAX VMS system, but is considering moving
>over to UNIX. He has been asked why it would be beneficial for the students
>to learn UNIX; i.e. why should the college bother to convert. If anyone has
>any comments, I would appreciate it, and will forward them on to our
>director.

First off, the question is not phrased all that well. Do the students
actually plan on "using" UNIX to actually study other things like
programming, compiler design, numerical analysis etc or is the plan
to "learn UNIX"? Well, there's a subtlety there somewhere. Here's
my list anyhow:

	1. Business perspective - Unix offers the college "vendor
	independence", particularly after the first change. Whereas
	VMS is sold only by DEC (and at a hefty cost for both hardware
	and software) there are literally dozens of vendors selling
	UNIX systems ranging from PCs the students can buy for their
	homes to the largest systems on earth. This trend is expected
	to accelerate in the near future.

	This means that this and future acquisitions can be considered
	competitively and better matched with the price and performance
	needs of both the institution and the students.

	2. Industry/University Relations - you can re-read #1 and
	consider what this may mean in terms of involvement between
	the college and interests of those dozens of vendors (and
	their customers) in regards research, internships etc.

	3. Job Perspectives - I invite you to pick up the Sunday
	employment section of a major newspaper (try the Boston Globe)
	and make a hash mark every time you see a UNIX position and
	others. It should be revealing.

	Honeywell noted this week they were introducing a new UNIX
	system because 67% of all new US Govt RFPs are requiring
	UNIX.

	4. Academic considerations - Unix has been highly praised
	for its consistent goals based upon innovative principles
	of software engineering and design. VMS is expensive.

	5. Commonality - Over 90% of all CS departments in the US
	use UNIX. This is most reflected in the number of texts
	available, check out any large college bookstore and compare
	the number of titles available in various computing subjects
	that are available either on UNIX "the O/S", UNIX as an
	application base, a compiler development environment, a systems
	environment or related (eg. Franz Lisp, UCB Pascal, C, ICON,
	modern networking.) Try to find VMS books...

	6. Manuals - The full set of UNIX manuals is readily available
	and inexpensive (a very complete set should cost around $100,
	a more than adequate set probably less half that.) In addition
	to this are many tutorials, self-help etc books available in
	most bookstores. VMS manual sets are several times more
	expensive and not readily available. I've never seen a tutorial
	or self-help type book on VMS in the popular press tho it's
	possible there is one available, anything is possible.

	7. Personal Development - UNIX is available for the home and
	promises to be more so in the very near future, this will
	almost certainly never be true for VMS. Although one can
	argue that this would tend one towards MS/DOS it hardly fulfills
	all the other goals (you didn't ask about MS/DOS anyhow.)

	8. Faculty hiring - If 90% of all CS depts use UNIX there must
	be a few people out there available to teach it.

	9. Future - I'll make the brash prediction here that VMS has
	around 2-5 years (max) left. I don't consider it very responsible
	to teach students a system who's days are numbered. The VAX line
	itself (which VMS is hopelessly tied to) seems to be nearing the
	end of its useful life span.

	10. UNIX has better games :-)

Cheers.

		-Barry Shein, Boston University

garry@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand) (01/11/87)

Oh here we go to the wars again! A lot of what Barry says is perfectly
true, but allow me to edit a few:

In a recent article bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) wrote:
>From: alan@herman.UUCP (Alan Kiecker)
>>One of our directors is on an advisory board to one of our state colleges.
>>Currently the college is using a VAX VMS system, but is considering moving
>>over to UNIX...
>
>	1. Business perspective - Unix offers the college "vendor
>	independence", particularly after the first change. Whereas
>	VMS is sold only by DEC (and at a hefty cost for both hardware
>	and software)...

Unix licenses and source are derived only from AT&T and there is no "vendor
independence" for the software (though there's rumors of new Unixae...)
If you mean "it runs on more CPUs", this is assuredly true.

"Hefty cost": Last time I had need to inquire, commercial Unix for large
machines was priced comparably to commercial VMS. *Both* big $$$$. And I
thought AT&T was going to stop giving free Unixes to universities. Can
anybody comment?

>	2. Industry/University Relations -

true

>	3. Job Perspectives - I invite you to pick up the Sunday
>	employment section of a major newspaper (try the Boston Globe)
>	and make a hash mark every time you see a UNIX position and
>	others. It should be revealing...

possibly true - I don't get the Globe. (I *thought* the most popular
was something called "OS/MVS" :-)

>	4. Academic considerations - Unix has been highly praised
>	for its consistent goals based upon innovative principles
>	of software engineering and design. VMS is expensive.

The Unix kernel is excellently designed. FLAME ON  The Unix utilities,
from a high-quality software-engineering point of view, are trash. Which
what the students have to contend with. FLAME OFF   You're repeating
yourself about "expensive".

>	5. Commonality - Over 90% of all CS departments in the US
>	use UNIX...[describes Unix-related books]... Try to find VMS books...

CS - true (Unix was free for years - excellent marketing move)

Books - true. But not very interesting. The Unix utilities that are well-enough
written that someone can actually document them seem to be well-enough written
that they also run fine under VMS when I try them.

>	6. Manuals - The full set of UNIX manuals is readily available
>	and inexpensive (a very complete set should cost around $100,
>	a more than adequate set probably less half that.) ...
>	VMS manual sets are several times more...
>	expensive and not readily available. I've never seen a tutorial
>	or self-help type book on VMS in the popular press...

Not fair. The Unix manuals are cheap because they:

	1) Are cryptic and obscure,
	2) Are not kept up-to-date,
	3) Contain no examples,
	4) Contain no index,
	5) Assume that you're a wizard.

DEC publishes a number of "tutorial and self-help" books -- there aren't
the popular press books partly because the original manufacturer has acted
responsibly and published them itself. After all, would you prefer to buy
a "Guide to programming in Fortran on XXX" or "Guide to Text Editing" from
the manufacturer or from some unknown hacker author?

>	7. Personal Development - UNIX is available for the home and
>	promises to be more so in the very near future, this will
>	almost certainly never be true for VMS....

true (although personal uVAXes are getting closer and closer...)

>	8. Faculty hiring - If 90% of all CS depts use UNIX there must
>	be a few people out there available to teach it.

true. But the professors I've encountered avoid at all costs discussing
practicalities like "talking gracefully to the system", so their presumed
expertise won't help the students.

>	9. Future - I'll make the brash prediction here that VMS has
>	around 2-5 years (max) left. I don't consider it very responsible
>	to teach students a system who's days are numbered. The VAX line
>	itself (which VMS is hopelessly tied to) seems to be nearing the
>	end of its useful life span.

yes, there are indeed starting to be rumors around of what's next - I'm
looking forward to it eagerly!  Unix is now 15 years old, VMS is now 8
years old, it's most certainly time to get on to the next generation!

>	10. UNIX has better games :-)

true

I've tried to limit myself to saying which of your reasons for changing
I don't consider valid; I haven't gone into all the obvious reasons for
*not* changing (the original poster didn't ask for them.)

But I will mention one: well-thought-out and graceful user interfaces are
very important to me, and I suspect as time goes on they will become more
important to the rest of the world too. It *pains* me for students to be
subjected to Unix first, with commands and error messages that read like
modem noise, and for them thus never to be aware that the user interface is
something anybody considers worth worrying about.

Enough said.

>		-Barry Shein, Boston University

garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)

PS - I'm looking forward to our new Cornell/Dec pricing agreement -
     they're bundling in bunches of interesting compilers and layered
     products for a cheap flat price.

mac@esl.UUCP (Mike McNamara) (01/13/87)

 ->>In a recent article bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) wrote:
 ->>From: alan@herman.UUCP (Alan Kiecker)
 ->>>One of our directors is on an advisory board to one of our state colleges.
 ->>>Currently the college is using a VAX VMS system, but is considering moving
 ->>>over to UNIX...
 ->>...
 ->>
 -> And Garry Wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu) commented:
 ->>Not fair. The Unix manuals are cheap because they:
 ->>
 ->>	1) Are cryptic and obscure,
 ->>	2) Are not kept up-to-date,
 ->>	3) Contain no examples,
 ->>	4) Contain no index,
 ->>	5) Assume that you're a wizard.
 ->>
 ->>DEC publishes a number of "tutorial and self-help" books -- there aren't
 ->>the popular press books partly because the original manufacturer has acted
 ->>responsibly and published them itself. After all, would you prefer to buy
 ->>a "Guide to programming in Fortran on XXX" or "Guide to Text Editing" from
 ->>the manufacturer or from some unknown hacker author?
 ->>
 ->	One of the best things Hewlett Packard & Sun Microsystems have done
 ->	for Unix is rewrite and add to the documentation set.  The
 ->	particularily valuable additions these companies have made is to
 ->	write beginners' guides.  I have recommended these guides to new users
 ->	of machines like Valids, or other unix based systems.
 ->
 ->	Perhaps the strongest need that exists in unix, however, is not another
 ->	round of "Introduction to the Unix Shell", but rather a complete
 ->	rewrite of the Manual set, so that users can find those utilities
 ->	we are always seeing source code poping up for in net.sources; RTFM
 ->	is just too difficult.
 ->
 ->	Of course, I personally, would be much more interested in working on
 ->	implementing Unix on a heterogeneous collection of processors...
 ->
 ->	So, ATT, Berkeley, get together a bunch of Technical writers and
 ->	document the d**m thing!!
 ->
 ->>	10. UNIX has better games :-)
 ->>
 ->>true
 ->		-Barry Shein, Boston University
 ->>
 ->>garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)
 ->>

 Michael Mc Namara
 ESL Incorporated
 ARPA: mac%esl@lll-lcc.ARPA
--
 Michael Mc Namara
 ESL Incorporated

dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) (01/14/87)

[discussion of UNIX vs. VMS manuals, and why one should learn UNIX]

Two comments.  First, while UNIX manuals aren't designed with beginners in
mind, they DO tell you a great deal that you will have trouble finding in
VMS manuals - file formats, for instance.  Second, UNIX is a fairly open
system that encourages experimenting.  This is aided by the information
available in the manuals.

It is also very  flexible.  An example of this is that one could write a
shell that would run on UNIX and look like DCL (VMS's shell),  but you
would have a pretty tough time doing the reverse.

					Dale McCluskey

					{hplabs,ihnp4}!hpfcla!dalem

rob@cwruecmp.UUCP (rob robertson) (01/16/87)

In article <3353@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>From: alan@herman.UUCP (Alan Kiecker)
>>He has been asked why it would be beneficial for the students
>>to learn UNIX; i.e. why should the college bother to convert. If anyone has
>>any comments, I would appreciate it, and will forward them on to our
>>director.
>
>	3. Job Perspectives - I invite you to pick up the Sunday
>	employment section of a major newspaper (try the Boston Globe)
>	and make a hash mark every time you see a UNIX position and
>	others. It should be revealing.

Barry, do not attempt this in Cleveland, kingdom of Big Blue.  If you can get
3 ads mentioning Unix your lucky.

>	5. Commonality - Over 90% of all CS departments in the US
>	use UNIX. This is most reflected in the number of texts
>	available, check out any large college bookstore and compare
>	the number of titles available in various computing subjects
>	that are available either on UNIX "the O/S", UNIX as an
>	application base, a compiler development environment, a systems
>	environment or related (eg. Franz Lisp, UCB Pascal, C, ICON,
>	modern networking.) Try to find VMS books...

They even have one out on how to edit (is vi THAT cryptic?)

>	8. Faculty hiring - If 90% of all CS depts use UNIX there must
>	be a few people out there available to teach it.

All of our departmental machines run UNIX.  However, I know one or two
professors here who can't even change there passwords without asking.
this is more of a comment on the hiring policies here than anything
else.

>	9. Future - I'll make the brash prediction here that VMS has
>	around 2-5 years (max) left. I don't consider it very responsible
>	to teach students a system who's days are numbered. The VAX line
>	itself (which VMS is hopelessly tied to) seems to be nearing the
>	end of its useful life span.

Hey, fortran and cobol will still be around for another 10, why can't
vms still be in 2-5.

>	10. UNIX has better games :-)

agreed.

>Cheers.

ciao!

rob
Case Western Reserve University

In article <1993@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu writes:
>Not fair. The Unix manuals are cheap because they:
>
>	1) Are cryptic and obscure,
>	2) Are not kept up-to-date,
>	3) Contain no examples,
>	4) Contain no index,
>	5) Assume that you're a wizard.
>
>DEC publishes a number of "tutorial and self-help" books -- there aren't
>the popular press books partly because the original manufacturer has acted
>responsibly and published them itself. After all, would you prefer to buy
>a "Guide to programming in Fortran on XXX" or "Guide to Text Editing" from
>the manufacturer or from some unknown hacker author?

My memories of programming on VMS consist of stuggling to balance
4-5 giant VMS orange binders of documentation.  Not knowing where
anything is (the index is fairly useless).  Having to figure out
bugs by myself.

With Unix, the manual for the most part is in one complete volume.
It has a permuted index (a real help).  And manuals are online
(your mileage may vary), good for quick lookups when the hardcopy
manual is across the room.  There is also a bug section in the manual
to describe known bugs.  With Unix, I have a less cluttered desk,
easy information lookup, and I don't beat my head against the wall
as much about unknown bugs in the system.

As far as tutorial and self help books, with unix you have a selection
some good, some bad, but with vms you have only what dec gives you.

-rob

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (01/16/87)

In article <3700002@hpfcph.HP.COM> dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) writes:

>Two comments.  First, while UNIX manuals aren't designed with beginners in
>mind, they DO tell you a great deal that you will have trouble finding in
>VMS manuals - file formats, for instance.  Second, UNIX is a fairly open
>system that encourages experimenting.  This is aided by the information
>available in the manuals.

	hmm, I seem to remember seeing file formats, data representations, and
lots of other goodies in my manual set....and at least the vms guides tell you
exactly what the program will do (ever try to actually figure out how to use
badsect or bad144 from their manual pages????)
	And lets face it, to really experiment you have to read the code
anyway for both systems :-)

>It is also very  flexible.  An example of this is that one could write a
>shell that would run on UNIX and look like DCL (VMS's shell),  but you
>would have a pretty tough time doing the reverse.

	funny, I know of now dcl shells for unix, but I know of two vms
'shells' which emulate unix (including pipes, redirection...) and only
one of the two is from dec (the other is public domain) and at least two
full unix emulators (more than just the shell, libraries, system calls, etc)
for vms - has anyone yet seen a vms emulator for unix ???  :-)

-ed cetron
center for engineering design
cetron%utah-ced@utah-cs.arpa
cetron@ced.utah.edu
cetron@utahcca.bitnet

rbl@nitrex.UUCP (01/16/87)

<Excluding the original article to save net bandwidth>

I taught UNIX in a Computer Applications graduate program (since early
1970's) before joining industry and still serve on a couple of college
advisory committees.  In addition to Barry Shein's excellent comments
already posted about Why UNIX, there's at least one other factor:

	UNIX, with it's pipe feature and the excellent Software Tools
	books to back it up, serves well in teaching students how to
	quickly analyze an end-user's real needs and quickly prototype
	a solution.  The fast analysis/prototype cycle results in systems
	which more closely meet user needs.
	Of course, there are other neat software concepts that may have
	originated within UNIX and C, but they are now more widely
	available.

"The largest impediment to technology transfer (into industry) may be
the existing skill set of the people already there."

Rob Lake
decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl
cbatt!nitrex!rbl

Disclaimer: The above opinions reflect my own opinion, expressed under
my adjunct academic appointment's freedom of expression and in no way
reflect any opinion of my employer.

> ... After all, would you prefer to buy
> a "Guide to programming in Fortran on XXX" or "Guide to Text Editing" from
> the manufacturer or from some unknown hacker author?

Better still, from some known-to-be-good hacker author.  Given only the
choice you present, probably from some unknown hacker author, since it is
a well-known law of nature :-) that manufacturers are incapable of writing
inexpensive readable documentation.  What I've seen on VMS -- admittedly I
have not looked hard, since neither VMS nor VAXen are cost-effective any
more -- has not been an exception.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/18/87)

In article <4171@utah-cs.UUCP> cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) writes:
>... I know of now dcl shells for unix, but I know of two vms
>'shells' which emulate unix (including pipes, redirection...) ...
>and at least two full unix emulators (more than just the shell,
>libraries, system calls, etc) for vms - has anyone yet seen a vms
>emulator for unix ???  :-)

It takes two things to build an emulator for another system:
ability and desire.

I wonder which is missing? :-)

That VMS is able to emulate Unix demonstrates its flexibility.
What does the fact that such emulators are used say about VMS's
desirability? :-)

Small serious note:  I doubt Unix would be able to emulate VMS
efficiently without at least some minor kernel hacks.  There really
*are* some good ideas in VMS.  Most hardcore Unix hacker will admit
this.  There are also some really bad ideas.  Most hardcore VMS
fans will admit this.  It works the other way too.  Personally, I
prefer Unix, but as Kirk said of the tribbles, there is no accounting
for tastes. :-)
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

phyllis@sfsup.UUCP (01/18/87)

>	Not fair. The Unix manuals are cheap because they:

>	1) Are cryptic and obscure,
>	2) Are not kept up-to-date,
>	3) Contain no examples,
>	4) Contain no index,
>	5) Assume that you're a wizard.

Garry, I object to your characterization of the UNIX manuals.
Have you seen the System V Release 3.0 Reference Manuals?
They are not cryptic and obscure, there are examples (although
they need more), they have indices, and the pages have been
heavily edited to take into consideration the level of the user.
It's a huge job rewriting all of the documentation, but AT&T's
3B2 documenters have made huge strides and are working hard to
continue their improvements.

The AT&T 3B2 documentation group also produces several guides, e.g.
the System Administrator's Guide, Programmer Guide, and Uer's Guide.
If you need more information about any of this documentation, I'm
sure I could provide it.

			Phyllis Eve Bregman
			ihnp4!attunix!phyllis

robert@Jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Robert Cray) (01/19/87)

In article <3700002@hpfcph.HP.COM> dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) writes:
>[discussion of UNIX vs. VMS manuals, and why one should learn UNIX]
>
>Two comments.  First, while UNIX manuals aren't designed with beginners in
>mind, they DO tell you a great deal that you will have trouble finding in
>VMS manuals - file formats, for instance.  Second, UNIX is a fairly open

VMS does have many file formats, which make things difficult.  UNIX has
only one, so of course its not hard to find documentation.  I agree that
if you are used to UNIX manuals, VMS manuals are difficult to get used to,
but I have always found what I was looking for.

>It is also very  flexible.  An example of this is that one could write a
>shell that would run on UNIX and look like DCL (VMS's shell),  but you
>would have a pretty tough time doing the reverse.

I was not aware anywone had written a VMS shell (or would want to) for UNIX.
There are at least 3  UNIX shells (Eunice, DEC Shell, LBL Tools) available
for VMS.
It all depends on what you want to do.  UNIX is great for software development,
VMS is great for production.  Both have strengths and weaknesses.  It is
a waste of time arguing over which one is "better".

						--robert
--
CSNET:   robert%jimi.cs.unlv.edu@relay.cs.net
UUCP:    {sdcrdcf,ihnp4}!otto!jimi!robert

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (01/19/87)

In:

>[discussion of UNIX vs. VMS manuals, and why one should learn UNIX]
>
>Two comments.  First, while UNIX manuals aren't designed with beginners in
>mind, they DO tell you a great deal that you will have trouble finding in
>VMS manuals - file formats, for instance.  Second, UNIX is a fairly open
>system that encourages experimenting.  This is aided by the information
>available in the manuals.

Also, there are some things that just seem to be impossible with VMS.  We
often deal with data files of long (2K bytes +++) lines.  We would like
to transmit them via a terminal emulation (say, cu) into a VMS file.

1.  It is not easy (read "baroque") to create a file on VMS that has
a long line length.
2.  You can't create the file via a terminal login.  VMS just won't take
lines longer than some "small" limit (as I recall, 232 bytes) via a port
it thinks is a terminal.

The "pure" byte stream philosophy of UNIX has been very nice to deal with.
The DECShell under VMS can do no better in dealing with this problem than
DCL does.

Disclaimer:  This reflects only my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Rob Lake
decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl
ihnp4!cbatt!nitrex!rbl

abs@nbc1.UUCP (Andrew Siegel) (01/20/87)

> In article <3700002@hpfcph.HP.COM> dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) writes:
> 	funny, I know of no dcl shells for unix, but I know of two vms
> 'shells' which emulate unix (including pipes, redirection...) and only
> one of the two is from dec (the other is public domain) and at least two
> full unix emulators (more than just the shell, libraries, system calls, etc)
> for vms - has anyone yet seen a vms emulator for unix ???  :-)
>
> -ed cetron

Kinda shot yourself in the foot, there, Ed.

Ever consider that the reason there are no VMS utilities for UNIX is
because no one *wants* one?

'Nuff said.
--
Andrew Siegel, N2CN		NBC Computer Imaging, New York, NY
philabs!nbc1!abs		(212)664-5776

garry@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand) (01/20/87)

In a recent article dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) wrote:
>Two comments.  First, while UNIX manuals aren't designed with beginners in
>mind, they DO tell you a great deal that you will have trouble finding in
>VMS manuals - file formats, for instance.

True, sometimes. For a counter-example, try Tar-file format - we just
replicated tar onto VMS, and it was surely a nuisance that that format wasn't
written down anywhere!

DEC used to put more information in about file formats; nowadays it's more
of a "need-to-know" - for example, the object-code language is documented
heavily (you might be writing a compiler) but the disk home blocks are
not ("why would you ever want to know *that*?")   Silly people - I want
to know *everything*.

By the way, the "VMS INTERNALS" book does have lots of good dirt in it. I
think we bought ours in the bookstore down the street rather than from DEC...

>					   Second, UNIX is a fairly open
>system that encourages experimenting.  This is aided by the information
>available in the manuals.

I assume you're talking about the operating system kernel; there's been
times when would have *loved* to have a VMS kernel source license!
(hack hack hack...)

>It is also very  flexible.  An example of this is that one could write a
>shell that would run on UNIX and look like DCL (VMS's shell),  but you
>would have a pretty tough time doing the reverse.

Not true. I wrote a small Csh for VMS a couple years ago, but the exercise
got boring and I stopped. Csh is basically user-level C code, and at that
level the abilities of the two systems are nearly indistinguishable - the
major one is that VMS is slower to fork. That *is* a nuisance, but if you
are a little more clever, you can come out ahead on VMS - just cache and
recycle the forked processes. (I've heard rumors of undocumented Unix
"kernel hooks" to make the shell run fast; they might be something similar.)

In a recent article rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) wrote:
>	UNIX, with it's pipe feature and the excellent Software Tools
>	books to back it up, serves well in teaching students how to
>	quickly analyze an end-user's real needs and quickly prototype
>	a solution.  The fast analysis/prototype cycle results in systems...

WHAT IN THE HOLY GOOD GOD EARTH DO PIPES HAVE TO DO WITH RAPID PROTOTYPING????

This article sounds like a snow job...   growl.

garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)

jc@piaget.UUCP (John Cornelius) (01/20/87)

In article <4171@utah-cs.UUCP> cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) writes:
 >In article <3700002@hpfcph.HP.COM> dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) writes:
 >
 >>Two comments.  First, while UNIX manuals aren't designed with beginners in
 >	funny, I know of now dcl shells for unix, but I know of two vms
 >'shells' which emulate unix (including pipes, redirection...) and only
 >one of the two is from dec (the other is public domain) and at least two
 >full unix emulators (more than just the shell, libraries, system calls, etc)
 >for vms - has anyone yet seen a vms emulator for unix ???  :-)
				__^^^^^^^^^^^^

But, why would you want to?

flame/output=NULLDEV:[0,0]/ignore=world/override=permissions/blocksize=0

--
John Cornelius
(...!sdcsvax!piaget!jc)

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (01/20/87)

In article <197@nbc1.UUCP> abs@nbc1.UUCP (Andrew Siegel) writes:
->> In article <3700002@hpfcph.HP.COM> dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) writes:
->> 	funny, I know of no dcl shells for unix, but I know of two vms
->> 'shells' which emulate unix (including pipes, redirection...) and only
->> one of the two is from dec (the other is public domain) and at least two
->> full unix emulators (more than just the shell, libraries, system calls, etc)
->> for vms - has anyone yet seen a vms emulator for unix ???  :-)
->>
->> -ed cetron
->
->Kinda shot yourself in the foot, there, Ed.
->
->Ever consider that the reason there are no VMS utilities for UNIX is
->because no one *wants* one?

	Of course no one wants one, once you use VMS you love it so much you
never want to leave.... .5:-)    and besides, if you want to migrate from
VMS to a more compact, faster, more flexible, neater, UNDERSTANDABLE operating
system, you move over to RSX-11M+ anyway.....

-ed

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (01/22/87)

In article <1035@sfsup.UUCP>, phyllis@sfsup.UUCP writes:

> Garry, I object to your characterization of the UNIX manuals.
> Have you seen the System V Release 3.0 Reference Manuals?
> They are not cryptic and obscure, there are examples (although
> they need more), they have indices, and the pages have been
> heavily edited to take into consideration the level of the user.

  Well, I haven't seen them so I can't confirm the above.  But I do wish DEC
  would give it a go along the same lines, with Ultrix.  Maybe the day will
  come when the following line disappears from finger(1) :

   "The encoding of the gcos field is UCB dependent - it knows
    that an office '197MC' is '197M Cory Hall', and that '529BE'
    is '529B Evans Hall' "

  - nothing against UCB.  And it is a nice personal touch.  But there are lotsa
    places where the ink could have been put to better use ...

  - any correlation to the cancelling of the Titan project (and the reasons
    for ?)

      ever -:), greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

bob@mwhhlaw.UUCP (01/22/87)

> In a recent article rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) wrote:
> >	UNIX, with it's pipe feature and the excellent Software Tools
> >	books to back it up, serves well in teaching students how to
> >	quickly analyze an end-user's real needs and quickly prototype
> >	a solution.  The fast analysis/prototype cycle results in systems...
>
> WHAT IN THE HOLY GOOD GOD EARTH DO PIPES HAVE TO DO WITH RAPID PROTOTYPING????
>
> This article sounds like a snow job...   growl.
>
> garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)

Let's not be too harsh.  Redirection of input and output, in
conjunction with pipes and existing UNIX filters and tools, does
facilitate quick working solutions (i.e. prototypes) for many
requirements.  The modular approach encouraged by UNIX also makes
it easier to fine tune these solutions as the end-user's
demands evolve during use of the program.
--
Bob Hartley
ihnp4!inuxc!mwhhlaw!bob

guy@gorodish.UUCP (01/25/87)

>  But I do wish DEC would give it a go along the same lines, with Ultrix.
>  Maybe the day will come when the following line disappears from finger(1) :
>
>   "The encoding of the gcos field is UCB dependent - it knows
>    that an office '197MC' is '197M Cory Hall', and that '529BE'
>    is '529B Evans Hall' "

The problem here is not with the manual, the problem is with the
program; the correct fix is to take that silly localism out of the
program if it's to be distributed as part of anything more formal
than a BSD release.  The code, and the comment in the manual page,
are certainly gone from *our* release.

levy@ttrdc.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <408@nitrex.UUCP>, rbl@nitrex.UUCP writes:
>Also, there are some things that just seem to be impossible with VMS.  We
>often deal with data files of long (2K bytes +++) lines.  We would like
>to transmit them via a terminal emulation (say, cu) into a VMS file.
>1.  It is not easy (read "baroque") to create a file on VMS that has
>a long line length.
>2.  You can't create the file via a terminal login.  VMS just won't take
>lines longer than some "small" limit (as I recall, 232 bytes) via a port
>it thinks is a terminal.

To be fair to VMS, the garden variety ~%put in cu also won't work for lines >
the UNIX terminal buffer size; neither will it work for files which don't
end with the eol character.  One has to play tricks with the tty settings.
Under the UNIX system, one would likely use UUCP to transfer such files
between machines.

>The "pure" byte stream philosophy of UNIX has been very nice to deal with.
>The DECShell under VMS can do no better in dealing with this problem than
>DCL does.

Recently (a couple of years ago?), a "stream-LF file format" was added to
VMS's endless repertory of file formats.  This format lets you have your
cake and eat it too with respect to byte-stream I/O, arbitrary seeking,
arbitrary "line length", and other things part of the byte stream philosophy
of the UNIX system, while still being acceptable as input to all other VMS
utilities that expect text files.  There is still the nuisance of having to
convert other text file formats to the stream-LF format to get full benefits
of the byte-stream philosophy when using them with VMS C programs.  The
implementation of stream IO and seeking under VMS C also leaves a LOT to be
desired efficiency-wise (I've seen a 3B2/400 do far better on a CDC WREN than
an unloaded VMS VAX 8650 does on an RA81 in applications requiring heavy
seeking).

>Disclaimer:  This reflects only my own opinion and not that of my employer.
>Rob Lake
>decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl
>ihnp4!cbatt!nitrex!rbl
|            dan levy            |  my own and are not at all those of my em-
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
                                        allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (01/27/87)

   In a recent article dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) wrote:
   >Two comments.  First, while UNIX manuals aren't designed with beginners in
   >mind, they DO tell you a great deal that you will have trouble finding in
   >VMS manuals - file formats, for instance.

   True, sometimes. For a counter-example, try Tar-file format - we just
   replicated tar onto VMS, and it was surely a nuisance that that format
   wasn't written down anywhere!

Try man 5 tar.

   garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)

(Root Boy) Jim "Just Say Yes" Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>

john@frog.UUCP (01/28/87)

> In a recent article rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) wrote:
> >	UNIX, with it's pipe feature and the excellent Software Tools
> >	books to back it up, serves well in teaching students how to
> >	quickly analyze an end-user's real needs and quickly prototype
> >	a solution.  The fast analysis/prototype cycle results in systems...
>
> WHAT IN THE HOLY GOOD GOD EARTH DO PIPES HAVE TO DO WITH RAPID PROTOTYPING??
>
> This article sounds like a snow job...   growl.
>
> garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)

A quick spelling checker:

tr '\t ' '\n' | sort | uniq | comm -23 - /usr/lib/dict/wordlist

Took me 3 minutes to write, including fishing around for the manual.

Given this, I can try it out, spell a few documents, and discover what I
need to add.  Eventually I'll reach the point where I ought to code it in
C, but by then I'll have a very good idea of how it should work.

Note that I used 3 pipes and 4 "Software Tools" that perform limited,
precisely describable jobs.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

 WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <1238@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:
[...]

hmm, this fascinated me... so I decided to try it, and it worked, and I did
it as written on my VMS machine....  Now, explain to me why if I can do this
on my UNIX machine  AND I can do it on my VMS  machine, why UNIX is better
than VMS.

-ed cetron

in fact, I then went and tried it on my RSX-11M+ machine, hmmm, worked there
two.....this is getting strange :-)

mcvoy@uwvax.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <4221@utah-cs.UUCP> cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) writes:

    [spelling prog w/ lots of parts & pipes]

    hmm, this fascinated me... so I decided to try it, and it worked, and I did
    it as written on my VMS machine....  Now, explain to me why if I can do this
    on my UNIX machine  AND I can do it on my VMS  machine, why UNIX is better
    than VMS.

Well, how about this: pipes, like many other innovative and unique
ideas, were found on Unix first.  Pipes, and other tools, are slowly
becoming implemented in other systems, such as yours.

So why is Unix better?  Well, tell me, ed, how long have pipes been
available on your machine?  Not very long, I'll bet.  While you have
been starting to use some of the ideas founded by Unix hackers, those
hackers have not been sitting idle.  They're off hacking on something
new.  You know, networks, and graphics, and window managers.  Stuff you
hear Unix types talking about and wish you had (or would wish you had
if you knew what it was).  Unix is good because it's an environment
made for and used by programmers.  That encourages new ideas, ideas
that you will (eventually) use.

'Nuff said, I don't want to start any wars, so follow up to me.
--
Larry McVoy 	        mcvoy@rsch.wisc.edu,
      		        {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4, etc}!uwvax!mcvoy

"They're coming soon!  Quad-stated guru-gates!"

btb@ncoast.UUCP (01/31/87)

How much does dec pay these guys to knock Unix in favor of VMS?  VMS is
like an advanced MSDOS for minicomputers... Unix is sheer brilliance,
simplicity of design & function...

Ed Cetron says he did the same as the one-line Unix spelling checker under
VMS... on how many lines?  With how many options on how many commands?
He didn't use pipes, because they don't exist, and if he wanted to do it
in the background, he had to add something like spawn/nowait/input=nl: to
EACH and every separate command that he used to emulate the Unix one-line
command... The Unix user only has to add & to the end of his one-line.

I don't have to sell Unix to these non-believers... either they retire, or
they will have to learn it within the next 5 years, because in the free
market, productivity and standardization are the restoring force, and with
this force, Unix has been the single stable eigenstate for the past 10+
years.

--
			Brad Banko
			...!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!btb

"The only thing we have to fear on this planet is man."
			-- Carl Jung, 1875-1961

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (02/01/87)

In article <4221@utah-cs.UUCP> cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) writes:
>->tr '\t ' '\n' | sort | uniq | comm -23 - /usr/lib/dict/wordlist
>  Now, explain to me why if I can do this
>on my UNIX machine  AND I can do it on my VMS  machine, why UNIX is better
>than VMS.

The only reason you can run this on your VMS system is that all the
necessary parts were lifted from UNIX.  The early releases of VMS
certainly did not support anything of the sort.  Actually it rather
surprises me that the current release of VMS does.  Or are you
running the Software Tools VOS or DEC-Shell instead of DCL?

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (02/02/87)

In article <1977@ncoast.UUCP> btb@ncoast.UUCP (Brad Banko) writes:
>How much does dec pay these guys to knock Unix in favor of VMS?  VMS is
>like an advanced MSDOS for minicomputers... Unix is sheer brilliance,
>simplicity of design & function...
>I don't have to sell Unix to these non-believers... either they retire, or
>they will have to learn it within the next 5 years, because in the free
>market, productivity and standardization are the restoring force, and with
>this force, Unix has been the single stable eigenstate for the past 10+years.

Ok, so I like UNIX too, and I' rather not do development on VMS (or
--OH, NO--- TSO, or MS-DOS), but VMS does have its good points.
In the real world, there's a *lot* of adequate-quality software serving
business needs, and while you or I may not think COBOL-written
accounting programs are any fun, a lot of businesses need accounting,
and it's a lot harder to do high-performance transaction processing on
UNIX systems than on VMS.  Similarly, for number-crunching, I'd rather
have the flexibility of C++ to work in, but there are a lot of
heavy-duty F0RTRAN scientific subroutine packages that I'd rather reuse
than rewrite, and a lot of scientific programming can be done
adequately without good recursive control structures, and nobody's ever
claimed f77 was a model of optimum high-speed code generation.

While VMS version changes are probably more painful than UNIX version
changes, you can change hardware without changing your object code,
and that's worth a lot.  There are some obvious costs to staying with
DEC hardware, but they do a good job of supporting their customers, and
that keeps them, and VMS, in business.

You know all the disclaimers I'm supposed to add here.

--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (02/05/87)

   > In a recent article rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) wrote:
   > >	UNIX, with it's pipe feature and the excellent Software Tools
   > >	books to back it up, serves well in teaching students how to
   > >	quickly analyze an end-user's real needs and quickly prototype
   > >	a solution.  The fast analysis/prototype cycle results in systems...
   >
   > WHAT IN HOLY GOOD GOD EARTH DO PIPES HAVE TO DO WITH RAPID PROTOTYPING??
   >
   > This article sounds like a snow job...   growl.
   >
   > garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)

Ever hear of `popen'? Or the more general case of setting up the plumbing,
then forking and execing a system program. Why write a real program
when you can call other ones almost as easy as subroutines?

	(Root Boy) Jim "Just Say Yes" Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (02/05/87)

>>> WHAT [...] DO PIPES HAVE TO DO WITH RAPID PROTOTYPING??
>>> This article sounds like a snow job...   growl.
>> tr '\t ' '\n' | sort | uniq | comm -23 - /usr/lib/dict/wordlist
> hmm, this fascinated me... so I decided to try it, and it worked, and
> I did it as written on my VMS machine....  Now, explain to me why if
> I can do this on my UNIX machine AND I can do it on my VMS machine,
> why UNIX is better than VMS.

You've changed the question.  The original was "what do pipes have to
do with rapid prototyping?".  Granted, this question arose in a
discussion of "why learn UNIX", but the point the example was chosen to
illustrate is the one about prototyping.

Seems to me that the fact that VMS is lifting ideas from UNIX instead
of the other way around says something about which is more useful.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

dalem@hpfcph.UUCP (02/05/87)

> Ok, so I like UNIX too, and I' rather not do development on VMS (or
> --OH, NO--- TSO, or MS-DOS), but VMS does have its good points.

Agreed.  I'm a UNIX fan, but DEC has done *some* things very well in VMS.

[businesses need accounting...]
> and it's a lot harder to do high-performance transaction processing on
> UNIX systems than on VMS.

Why?

						Dale McCluskey

						{hplabs,ihnp4}!hpfcla!dalem

PAAAAAR@calstate.bitnet (02/06/87)

   > WHAT IN HOLY GOOD GOD EARTH DO PIPES HAVE TO DO WITH RAPID PROTOTYPING??
   >
   > This article sounds like a snow job...   growl.
   >
   > garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)

In addition to the obvious use of pipes for spell checking and such things
it is *not* well known that pipes are an ideal way to prototype any
problem which has what Michael Jackson (*not* the dancer!) calls a
"structure clash". In JSP (Jackson Structured Programming) a problem
with a clash is decomposed into separate programs and data objects
linked by data streams. The streams are defined to work *exactly* like
pipes.

Usually a pipelined solution is a little slow and so JSP typically
recodes one or more programs as semi-co-routines by a process called
"inversion". These look UGLY but work efficiently.

See Bo. Sanden's recent book and articles. Also (inshallah) the book
that I will get out with Paul Ross next year (Systems Programming: A
Softwrae Engineering Approach) which has several chapters on prototypes
and process communication.

Also - if anyone needs to invert any C programs or create co-functions
in C I have a short m4 macro package that makes the task a
little less dirty.

   Dick Botting, Dept Comp Sci., Cal State U, San Bernardino, CA 92407
   PAAAAAR@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE.EDU                  voice:714-887-7368
   modem:714-887-7365  (Silicon Mountain  --  where the LA smog stops)

robert@jimi.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <5585@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <4221@utah-cs.UUCP> cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) writes:
>>->tr '\t ' '\n' | sort | uniq | comm -23 - /usr/lib/dict/wordlist
>>  Now, explain to me why if I can do this on my UNIX machine  AND I can
>>  do it on my VMS  machine, why UNIX is better than VMS.
>The only reason you can run this on your VMS system is that all the
>necessary parts were lifted from UNIX.  The early releases of VMS
>certainly did not support anything of the sort.  Actually it rather
>surprises me that the current release of VMS does.  Or are you
>running the Software Tools VOS or DEC-Shell instead of DCL?

I have never understood this argument.  People are always telling me
"well, VMS doesn't have make".  On my system it does.  They then go on a
long tirade about how it was invented on unix, and VMS only has it because
they "lifted it" from UNIX.   So what?  A good idea is a good idea, who
cares that it was on system x first.  As it happens, I like UNIX a lot,
but there are features on VMS that are lacking on UNIX, and for certain
environments a VMS type system is better.

I can tell you however, that the above command will not work on a vanilla
VMS system.  IPC is easily done on VMS, it is not done via DCL, however
as has been mentioned before, just as there are several shells available
for UNIX systems, there are several for VMS.  What sort of response do
you suppose I'd get if I complained that BSD 4.0 has no networking
support, that V6 has no job control etc.  What VMS was lacking 10 years
ago is irrelevant.

					--robert

--
Disclaimer:  I like unix better than VMS!!!

mwm@eris.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <634@mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
>Seems to me that the fact that VMS is lifting ideas from UNIX instead
>of the other way around says something about which is more useful.

And what makes you think the flow is all one way? I can think of a
handfull of things that were in early VMeS's (say, 3.x) that weren't
in early BSD releases (4.0) that are in 4.[23], or have been added by
various people.

Trouble is, most of those things are things that are in any production
OS, so you can't point and say that "this came from VMS." They could
have come from AOS, or MVS, or Primos, or.....

In any case, the important question isn't "where'd it come from," the
important question is "when will it be in my favorite OS?" Being
willing and able to adapt good ideas will improve your OS faster than
trying to come up with them by yourself.

	<mike