[comp.unix.questions] R vs. r in Mail

chris@mimsy.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <2107@ptsfa.UUCP> ssl@ptsfa.UUCP (Sam Lok) writes:
>Next time, try 'R' instead of 'r'.  With the current MAIL setup, there
>nothing one can do except to see that it's a good lesson to learn from.  :-)

As distributed with 4BSD, the Mail program (/usr/ucb/[Mm]ail) sends
a copy of a `r'eply to everyone, while a `R'eply goes only to the
sender.  This is arguably wrong (and equally arguably right: but
I will not argue either side here); fortunately, there is a very
easy way to change it on a per-user *and* per-site basis.  If you
would rather have `R' reply to all, and `r' only to the sender, say

	set Replyall

in your .mailrc.  If you wish this to affect everyone on the machine,
put it in /usr/lib/Mail.rc instead.  Those who do not like being
so affected can put

	unset Replyall

in their own .mailrc files.

Alas, if you have a Sun running 3.0 or later, none of this works.
Sun decided that `r'=>all, `R'=>sender was wrong (fine).  To fix
it, Sun should simply have set Replyall in their distributed
/usr/lib/Mail.rc.  Instead, they changed the source (ai!).  This
was a mistake indeed.  Now instead of a Replyall variable, they
have a replyall variable.  If replyall is not set, one gets
`r'=>sender, `R'=>all.  To get predictable behaviour no matter
where you are, one command no longer suffices:

	# If you like `r'=>sender, `R'=>all
	set Replyall
	unset replyall

	# but if you like `r'=>all, `R'=>sender
	unset Replyall
	set replyall
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

guy@gorodish.UUCP (02/18/87)

>Sun decided that `r'=>all, `R'=>sender was wrong (fine).  To fix
>it, Sun should simply have set Replyall in their distributed
>/usr/lib/Mail.rc.

Except that Replyall was added in 4.3BSD, which wasn't out when we
did 3.0.  The 3.0 Mail is a merger of "mailx" and the 4.2BSD "Mail".
Had Replyall existed when we did the 3.0 Mail, we would have used it.
(And now the S5R3 "mailx" has "flipr" as its version of the same
thing.  Oh well....)