[comp.unix.questions] withdrawing E-mail

lien@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/19/87)

From: Yao-Nan Lien <lien>

Thanks for all who tries to help me on this issue.
From all the responses we have seen,  we can conclude that
a user should be more careful since there is no 'undo' feature
for E-mail once a '^D' is typed.

As a user, I believe  that this  kind of mistake  may be inevitable.
Human being makes error, isn't it?
I believe it is important and serious for the following reasons:

1. E-mail is getting more important than before in a computer system.
   Take me as a case. Writing paper, E-mail, USENET communication
   are my major computer activity. This may not be true for
   super users, but it may be true for many regular users.

2. It is serious since no 'undo' function is provided.

   Some people may say that 'rm *' is more serious than making
   mistake in a E-mail. But, we have backup system to reduce its
   damage. People invent backup system but not undo function for
   mail is simply because E-mail wasn't an important function long
   time ago. Now, things are changing. It  is time for us to
   redefine the desired functions for regular users.

So, I am suggesting to take this into consideration for the
future OS design.

Nothing is perfect. There is no complete solution for this
problem. Let's see how much we can do first.

1. The theoretical latest time that one can withdraw letters
   from his own mailbox  is the time the mailman comes.

   For those who use apartment shared mailbox, this time is much
   earlier. One can only do it before he drop the letters into the
   mailbox.

2. This theoretical latest time on computer system (local or
   remote) is the time right before the receiver read it.

3. With the help of super user, the latest time in current
   UNIX system  is the time before it is sent out to other net
   or the time it is read by the receiver if it is local.
   (Am I right?)

4. Without any help, the latest time is the time one hits '^D'.

In the future system, what is the latest time for a regular user?
Can we try to extend it to the theoretical upper bound?
What is the difficulty?
Is  it worth to do?

Yao-Nan Lien

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <3152@osu-eddie.UUCP> lien@osu-eddie.UUCP writes:
>3. With the help of super user, the latest time in current
>   UNIX system  is the time before it is sent out to other net
>   or the time it is read by the receiver if it is local.

I understand that it is illegal in the US for me to physically take an
envelope out of another person's mailbox once the postman has
delivered it, even if I was the one that sent it to him.

By analogy, it is unethical for me to to edit
/usr/spool/mail/recipient, even if I am able (as superuser),
regardless of whether I sent it or not.
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

ken@rochester.UUCP (02/20/87)

Unfortunately the problem is that nowadays the lower and upper bound
can be close. In the case of the Internet, sometimes the recipient gets
the mail within seconds of posting.

If you are willing to increase the lower bound, why not just make a
program that puts the mail in your private directory and sends it off
after N minutes, while you reconsider.

Or set dot in Mail, so that it takes . <cr> instead of just ^D to post.

People should be more careful with email, that's all.

	Ken

ggs@ulysses.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <3152@osu-eddie.UUCP>, lien@osu-eddie.UUCP writes:
> Thanks for all who tries to help me on this issue.
> From all the responses we have seen,  we can conclude that
> a user should be more careful since there is no 'undo' feature
> for E-mail once a '^D' is typed.

I think all the discussion about the post office and mail boxes is
a bit off the mark.  As of the above comment, I see his problem:
the mail interface is not friendly.  It's too easy to let the letter
slip out of your fingers into the mail box.  So try "mh" if you can
find a copy.  When you think you're done, you exit your favorite
editor and then answer a question about what you want to do with the
letter.  Only after you say "send" does it go out the door.
--
Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		1-201-582-7736

lrj@batcomputer.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <25011@rochester.ARPA> ken@rochester.UUCP (SKY) writes:
>Or set dot in Mail, so that it takes . <cr> instead of just ^D to post.
>
>People should be more careful with email, that's all.
>
>	Ken

	  I have Mail set to ask for a CC after finishing the text
	of the message, and before sending.  The user can ^C at this
	point to abort the mail.  I believe it's a matter of setting
	'askcc' in your .mailrc

	  For anything but a quick, one-line letter, i use MH (Mail Handler).
	It's a nice system -- a lot safer that Mail.. :^)

	  Anyone know of a 'port of MM (Mail Manager?) from TOPS-20
	to Un*x?  Now THAT was a nice system...

--
				-- Lewis R. Jansen, LASSP Systems Grunt
					lrj@lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu