[comp.unix.questions] Withdrawing mail

lien@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/20/87)

From: Yao-Nan Lien <lien>

This sounds crazy. But why not for a discussion?

1. Store each message in receivers /usr/spool/mail/xxx
   as a file with necessary information such that it can be
   deleted by authorized user.

2. Store each message in the sender's /usr/spool/mail/xxxx as a
   file and put a signal in receiver's mailbox. The message is
   delivered when the receiver read it.

For local E-mail, I don't see any techinical  difficulty to implement.

(Let's assume there is no compatibility problem with existing software.)

Yao-Nan Lien

avolio@decuac.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <3163@osu-eddie.UUCP>, lien@osu-eddie.UUCP writes:
> From: Yao-Nan Lien <lien>
>

> This sounds crazy. But why not for a discussion?

Look, no offense, but (that is one of Those Phrase, if ever I read one
... :-)) ...

I think this has been beaten into the ground, no?  I mean it really is
a problem with a myriad of easy solutions.  The simplest is to have
users use the editor to create mail and stick it into an OUTGOING
directory.  Then they can, once a day review and mail each of the
items.  Or... Interface it with a batch routine such as at(1).  And so
on...  If you run sendmail set things to always queue mail and have
sendmail tyr to run the queue once an hour/day/month...

At some time the mail will have to leave the site.  At some
time plus 10 seconds someone will say "Oh!  Wait one minute.... Awwww
shucks!!"  (Well, maybe not "shucks!")

The point is this "feature" can be rather easily added to most U*ix
systems.  Doesn't take any changes to delivery programs or the
operating system.  Just writing a small, front end can do it.  You can
even call it the same thing as whatever people are using now.

-Fred-