[comp.unix.questions] call back software

weikert@nadc.arpa (02/12/87)

Has anyone implemented a scheme on a UNIX system whereby you call in to
the machine, do a (fake) login of some kind, hang up, then the machine
(knowing who you are from the fake login) looks up your number and calls
YOU to make the session complete?

Thanks for any pointers. Please reply to :

weikert@nadc.arpa

attc@desoto.UUCP (02/16/87)

Try the ct command!

emigh@ecsvax.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <288@desoto.UUCP> attc@desoto.UUCP (ATT Communications) writes:
>Try the ct command!

Quote from AT&T 3B2 System V Release 3.0, page 34

	The ct command is not compatible with the Basic Networking Utilities.
Do not use this command.
--
Ted H. Emigh     Genetics and Statistics, North Carolina State U, Raleigh  NC
USENET: emigh@ecsvax.uucp

levy@ttrdc.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <2695@ecsvax.UUCP>, emigh@ecsvax.UUCP writes:
>In article <288@desoto.UUCP> attc@desoto.UUCP (ATT Communications) writes:
>>Try the ct command!
>
>Quote from AT&T 3B2 System V Release 3.0, page 34
>
>	The ct command is not compatible with the Basic Networking Utilities.
>Do not use this command.
>--
>Ted H. Emigh     Genetics and Statistics, North Carolina State U, Raleigh  NC

The original message is gone from my system and I can't remember whether the
original requestor said he had SVR3 or SVR2.

I _have_ gotten ct to work, after a fashion, on a SVR2 3B2 system with at
least one dial-in port which is different from a free dial-out port.
How I kludged it was to dial in, then "exec ct -s 'speed' -v 'your_number'".
(Note, the "exec" is needed, else the original dial in port will be tied up
by the shell even after the "ct" finishes.)  ct will acquire the acu and then
hang you up, at which point it will (try to) call you back using the acu.

I do not know if this kludge would work on SVR3 (do not have it handy to try).
It might fail on SVR3 for different reasons than on SVR2.
|            dan levy            |  my own and are not at all those of my em-
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
                                        allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy

root@sdd.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <2695@ecsvax.UUCP> emigh@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted Emigh) writes:

>Quote from AT&T 3B2 System V Release 3.0, page 34
>
>	The ct command is not compatible with the Basic Networking Utilities.
>Do not use this command.
>--

	You Got to be kidding.... Why should this command not be used!!!

	In what ways is it not compatible.  I have a strong need for this
	command or equivalent...

								Daniel Corbett
								VP Engineering
								Software Design & Development Corp.

paddock@melpad.UUCP (02/27/87)

Under System V release 2 on 3b2 400's the ct command works fine
and coexists with basic networking if and only if the ct command
finds an outdial only dialer.  A more precise statement of the problem
would be 'the ct command does not function properly using ports
with /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty running on them.  Arranging the order of
ports in /usr/lib/uucp/Devices can increase the probability of
success.

--
Steve Paddock
{ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!melpad!paddock