[comp.unix.questions] input editing at interrupt time

chris@mimsy.UUCP (03/01/87)

In article <14304@sun.uucp> guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>A streams-based driver could do the canonicalization in a service
>procedure; they are not run at interrupt priority level.

Actually, I had considered that.  A rather standard scheme for
interrupt processing is to drop the event into a queue, then schedule
a special process to run it.  That process is, in essence, an
interrupt (and is often implemented using software interrupts).

4.2 and 4.3BSD use this scheme for network input.  That is the
difference between splnet() and splimp(): the former blocks software
input interrupts, while the latter blocks hardware input interrupts.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu