[comp.unix.questions] Alternating OS on a VAX

tomc@oakhill.UUCP (02/24/87)

I have been following a discussion in the mod.computers.vax newsgroup about
alternating Ultrix with VMS on a VAX (usually a VAXstation or MicroVAX).  I
have tried to get through to that newsgroup before with no success, so I was
wondering if any of you people could answer some questions related to this
subject (well, it's HALF about Unix anyway!).

Has anyone tried alternating Unix System V with VMS on a VAX (accounts
concerning BSD/VMS also welcome)?  According to the reports in
mod.computers.vax trying to do this with one disk is next to impossible,
but using two disks is quite workable, although installation can be tricky.
We have a VAX 750 with one drive now, but would be perfectly content to get
another drive if alternating between operating systems amounted to taking
one drive off-line and rebooting with the other.

Is the installation really a bear?  I don't know anything about installing
System V.  Does it require a particular logical device to boot from?
Apparently VMS will boot from any bootable device (I am no VMS guru either).
I've tried to contact someone at AT&T to get answers to some of these
questions, but we're still playing telephone tag.  Any advice or insights
most welcome.
--

Tom Cunningham     "Good, fast, cheap -- select two."
USPS:  Motorola Inc.  6501 William Cannon Dr. W.  Austin, TX 78735-8598

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (03/03/87)

In article <841@oakhill.UUCP>, tomc@oakhill.UUCP (Tom Cunningham) writes:
> I have been following a discussion in the mod.computers.vax newsgroup about
> alternating Ultrix with VMS on a VAX (usually a VAXstation or MicroVAX).
> Has anyone tried alternating Unix System V with VMS on a VAX (accounts
> concerning BSD/VMS also welcome)?  According to the reports in
> mod.computers.vax trying to do this with one disk is next to impossible,
> but using two disks is quite workable, although installation can be tricky.

I have found a wonderful, potential solution to this problem.
HCR (Human Computing Resources) of Toronto has developed a
product called Unity which is Unix System V running as an
application under VMS.  We are considering the product quite
seriously as the base of our small systems group at the Royal
Ontario Museum and possibly in other areas.

While I have not had my hands on it, the glossies are
informative and a test will soon come. (There is a demo
available for $1000).  At least give them a look if you really
need Unix with VMS.

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
Toronto, Ontario