[comp.unix.questions] Looking for "Nutshell" handbooks

andyb@dartvax.UUCP (02/27/87)

I am trying to locate the publisher of the "Unix-in-a-Nutshell" handbooks.
Does anyone know their address or telephone number?

(These little books provide a quick introduction to Unix, vi, and uucp,
and are filled with lots of "copy this or adapt it for your needs"
examples).

					Andy Behrens

{astrovax,ihnp4,linus,harvard,decvax}!dartvax!burlcoat!andyb
andyb%burlcoat@dartmouth.EDU

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (02/28/87)

>From: andyb@dartvax.UUCP (Andy Behrens)
>
>I am trying to locate the publisher of the "Unix-in-a-Nutshell" handbooks.
>Does anyone know their address or telephone number?

Their address is:

Nutshell Handbooks
O'Reilly & Associates Inc.
171 Jackson Street
Newton MA 02159

I have their "Reading & Writing TERMCAP Entries", and "Programming With
Curses".  They are very good.  I recommend them highly.

I have no connection with O'Reilly & Associates Inc. etc. etc. etc.

pk
--

ARPA:	phaedrus@eneevax.umd.edu
UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!mimsy!eneevax!phaedrus

mitch@well.UUCP (02/28/87)

The publisher of Nutshell is O'Reilly & Associates, 171 Jackson Street,
Newton, Mass 02159617 527 4210. There are five volumes and they are $7.50
each.

You might also look for UNIX Communications by The Waite Group and published
by Howard W. Sams in May. This book has everything in all the Nutshells in
one book, but the total isn't $37.50. There is also much more information
about using USENET in the Waite Group title.

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (03/01/87)

>I am trying to locate the publisher of the "Unix-in-a-Nutshell" handbooks.
>Does anyone know their address or telephone number?
>
>(These little books provide a quick introduction to Unix, vi, and uucp,
>and are filled with lots of "copy this or adapt it for your needs"
>examples).
>
>					Andy Behrens

O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
171 Jackson Street
Newton, MA 02159

I am posting this because I think they are actually worth looking into
for the larger community. They're little books (5 1/2" x 8" stock,
less than 100pp) which go over quickly a lot of things about basic
UNIX etc. I would think naive user's would find them a nice,
non-threatening introductions (we can get to the threats later :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

rbl@nitrex.UUCP (03/02/87)

In article <5750@dartvax.UUCP> andyb%burlcoat@dartvax.UUCP (Andy Behrens) writes:
>I am trying to locate the publisher of the "Unix-in-a-Nutshell" handbooks.
>Does anyone know their address or telephone number?

O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
981 Chestnut St.
Newton, MA  02164

The UUCP/USENET volumes are worth their weight in gold!  I've been trying to
administer a node outside my regular duties and just have not had the time
to find all the good material the Nutshell Handbooks have  ---  nonetheless
the time to organize it well!  These do the job!!

Rob Lake

bruce@chas2.UUCP (03/03/87)

The Nutshell handbooks are published by:

   O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
   981 Chestnut Street
   Newton, Mass.  02164

There are seven of them that I know of, and they are
extremely useful.

     ... cit-vax!elroy!smeagol!jplgodo!chas2!bruce

  --Bruce McLaughlin          Jet Propulsion Laboratory
                              4800 Oak Grove Drive, M/S 301/250D
                              Pasadena, California, 91109
                                  (818) 354-0280

     "Wisdom suffers only when Triumph meets Conviction"