[comp.unix.questions] should we reuse mag tapes?

jacobo@megatest.UUCP (02/18/87)

   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?

   Would someone have a strong feeling, based on experience or data, one way
   or  the other?  I know that the whole idea of using mag tapes is that you
   can reuse them a good number of times,  but  I  have  also  heard  people
   saying that valuable info should go on virgin tapes.

   Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Please mail to  me  directly.
   Thanks.

							              Jacobo
   UUCP:   {decvax!decwrl, ucbvax, ihnp4} !sun!megatest!jacobo
	   {dlb, lbl-csam, amd, ubvax} !megatest!jacobo
   USMAIL: Megatest; 880 Fox Lane; San Jose, Ca 95131
   PHONE:  (408)437-9700 x 3171
--

ems@apple.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <1058@megatest.UUCP> jacobo@megatest.UUCP (Jacobo Bulaevsky) writes:

>   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
>   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?
>
>   Would someone have a strong feeling, based on experience or data, one way
>   or  the other?  I know that the whole idea of using mag tapes is that you
>   can reuse them a good number of times,  but  I  have  also  heard  people
>   saying that valuable info should go on virgin tapes.
>
>   Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Please mail to  me  directly.
>   Thanks.

I think this topic is of general enough concern that replies should be
posted.  I'm interested.

WAR STORY:  Once upon a time a company I worked for used virgin tapes for
the important stuff.  Then we started having a strange problem.  Some
tapes would be fine for a while, then after being stored for a few days
would be unreadable.  This was never completely solved, but was believed
to be due to a batch of questionable tapes.

MORAL: Use relatively new, but not virgin tape for really important things.
You want to get past any 'infant mortality' problems and use a proven
product.  Avoid heavily used tape, as it can begin to develop problems.

We did one of our daily backups on a virgin tape, then took the oldest
tapes out to be 'keepers'  This gave the tape a few uses before something
critical went on it.  If we hit a bogus virgin tape, it was only one
days worth that was lost, the prior day having been done on a veteran
tape.  Of course, we had to check the backups periodically ...

It takes a LOT of uses to wear a tape out.  I would guess somewhere in
the hundred range or so...

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

res@ihlpl.UUCP (02/24/87)

> >   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
> >   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?
> >
> >   Would someone have a strong feeling, based on experience or data, one way
> >   or  the other?  I know that the whole idea of using mag tapes is that you
> >   can reuse them a good number of times,  but  I  have  also  heard  people
> >   saying that valuable info should go on virgin tapes.
>
> It takes a LOT of uses to wear a tape out.  I would guess somewhere in
> the hundred range or so...

While working on a tape controller for the AT&T 3B5 and 3B15 computers
we used one tape for soak testing for many days.  All told, I believe
it racked up on the order of 500 hours of use without exhibiting a
reproducible failure (we had to retire it when it got knocked from atop a
machine and the reel ended up in three pieces.  The tape was Graham
Ultimag -- expensive, but it did the job for us very nicely.

On the other hand, our Lab Administration people once got a batch of
tape that the Purchasing Department must have got such a deal on.  Ten
passes over the head and the stuff was ready to be scrapped.  After
trying to use it for a short while they shipped it back to the
distributor and got some of the stuff that they ordered in the first
place.

So, how long a tape will last will depend on the initial quality
(there are lots of good brands out there -- Graham being one of my
personal favorites, but not the only one by any means) and on the care
given the tape when you use it.

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

falk@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <1058@megatest.UUCP> jacobo@megatest.UUCP (Jacobo Bulaevsky) writes:

>   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
>   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?
>
>   Would someone have a strong feeling, based on experience or data, one way
>   or  the other?  I know that the whole idea of using mag tapes is that you
>   can reuse them a good number of times,  but  I  have  also  heard  people
>   saying that valuable info should go on virgin tapes.

In my experience, brand-new tapes tend to have *more* problems than "slightly
used" ones. At a former job, I ended up doing a rather large "study" of this
phenomenon after we began experiencing problems with recovering backups from
once-written tapes. One of the things that I found was that brand new tapes
tend to be dirtier than slightly-used ones (excess iron-oxide that came off
in the tape drives), so I instituted a policy of cleaning each new tape before
use. That eliminated some of the potential failures, but not all. By trial
and error it was noted that tapes that had been written and read at least once
before had a better "recovery rate" than once written tapes- not sure why
except perhaps that you are weeding out the bad apples at that point. If you
think about it, would *you* want to trust valuable data to an untested medium?

As far as maximum usage, theoretically, you ought to be able to reuse tapes into
the hundreds or thousands of times. Improper handling, poorly adjusted tape
drives, environmental disturbances, etc., guarantee that number to be reduced
significantly, probably down to 50-100. While we were going thru this mess,
before we isolated the problem, I had some tape manufacturer reps come down
and they told me that they do verification testing of some tapes from each
batch by writing and reading tapes n-times until they fail, hence, the above
numbers.

         Connie Falk

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!falk
ARPANET: falk%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	 CSNET:	 falk%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
ICBM:	 40 07 N / 88 13 W
US Mail: Univ of Illinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801
AT&T:	 217-333-8050

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (02/25/87)

   From: Jacobo Bulaevsky <jacobo@megatest.uucp>
   Date: 18 Feb 87 01:23:41 GMT

      The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
      should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?

No. You should mail all your used tapes to me :-)  Seriously, there is even
a case *against* using virgin tapes.  The deflowering process stretches the
tape and rubs some of the oxide off.  You might do better writing the
data twice, or at least running a program that writes until EOT and
then rewinds.  You could even run a verification pass for crucial tapes.

Of course, we do nothing of the sort.  I am merely speculating, altho
those little cartridge tape drivers often have a `retension' command
which fast forwards and then rewinds.  Good luck.

	(Root Boy) Jim "Just Say Yes" Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	Help! A 900 foot tall vision of Dennis Ritchie told me
	that if I don't get my 4.3 BSD tapes by March I'll die!

jnp@calmasd.UUCP (02/26/87)

> jacobo@megatest.UUCP (Jacobo Bulaevsky) writes:

>   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
>   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?

In the broadcast field (yes - I know that the recording techniques are
different - but the media isn't) it is generally accepted that used but not
worn-out tapes are best for archival storage.  Has something to do with the
original-factory-fresh erasing done, and that it takes several recording
erasing cycles to make the tape really "take" a recording well.

I have heard this arguement applied to Video tapes as well.

My guess is that - at least to some extent - it would be true for digital
tapes as well.

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, Data Management Group, San Diego

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (03/03/87)

In article <1861@ihlpl.ATT.COM> res@ihlpl.UUCP writes:

>> It takes a LOT of uses to wear a tape out.  I would guess somewhere in
>> the hundred range or so...

Another issue, if you are using old tapes, is dirt. I have only worked
with 'real' (reel? :-) ) magtape once, on a newly installed previously
owned PDP-11/45. We had a big box of tapes, also previously owned. One
of them had so much scum on it that, after about half the tape was
written, the scum buildup on the head was causing the tape to stick. It
starting making this 'pop pop pop pop pop' noise, as the capstan pulled
the tape free, only to have it get stuck again. I don't imagine there
was a lot of useful data being written to that tape. The first time this
happened, we figured the dirt might have already been on the head, so we
cleaned the head and tried again. Same result. We didn't try yet again.

I have no idea how a tape could get that dirty. Possibly it was used on
very dirty equipment, or maybe the oxide binder had softened for some
strange reason.

Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg
Have vAX, will hack...

mangler@cit-vax.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <176200004@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>, falk@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> ... would *you* want to trust valuable data to an untested medium?

If the data is valuable you should make multiple copies.  No media
is perfect.  Once you understand this, it becomes clear that the
tape drive used to make the copies is more critical than the tapes
(all backup copies made on a broken tape drive will be unreadable).

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!speck

WELTY@ge-crd.arpa (WELTY RICHARD P) (03/05/87)

Date:  5-MAR-1987 10:46
From: Richard Welty
Sender: WELTY
Subject: Re: Re: Should we reuse mag tapes?
To: info-unix@brl.arpa@smtp
--------

--------

WELTY@ge-crd.arpa (WELTY RICHARD P) (03/05/87)

Date:  5-MAR-1987 13:48
From: Richard Welty
Sender: WELTY
Subject: Re: should we reuse mag tapes?
To: info-unix@brl.arpa@smtp
--------
I see that my previous message was trashed by a mailer somewhere --
here is an attempt to reconstruct it:

> System Mangler <mangler@csvax.caltech.edu> writes:

>If the data is valuable you should make multiple copies.  No media
>is perfect.  Once you understand this, it becomes clear that the
>tape drive used to make the copies is more critical than the tapes
>(all backup copies made on a broken tape drive will be unreadable).

In fact backup copies made on a misaligned tape drive may be readable,
and tapes made elsewhere may not.  In addition, if a FE fixes the drive
and realigns it, old backup tapes may cease to be readable.  Whenever
a drive is installed, always double check the alignment.

			-- Richard Welty (welty@ge-crd.arpa)

--------