[comp.unix.questions] Should we reuse mag tapes? - really bit banging

cramer%clem@Sun.COM (Sam Cramer) (03/05/87)

As long as we're talking about magnetic tapes and data retention, does anyone
know if mechanical shock to a tape will cause bits to come unstuck?

Sam Cramer	uucp:	{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!cramer
		arpanet: cramer@sun.com

brunner@sri-spam.istc.sri.com (Thomas Eric Brunner) (03/06/87)

In article <14551@sun.uucp> cramer@sun.UUCP (Sam Cramer) writes:
>As long as we're talking about magnetic tapes and data retention, does anyone
>know if mechanical shock to a tape will cause bits to come unstuck?

No, but I'm willing to design an empirical test using your tapes :-)

--
how about a great big spidery "X"?

rupp@cod.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (03/06/87)

I am no expert on the issue of reuse of magtapes, but it seems to me
that a great amount of use would cause such tapes to be stretched.  This
would probably be a more likely effect with computer tapes than with
audio because of the more frequent starts and stops.  I have also been
lead to believe that old tapes which have not been used in a long time
loose their elasticity.  I was afraid some reel-reel audio tapes
recorded by me in the early 1970s might have suffered that fate, but
I recently played some of them and they seem okay.  Of course, those
were audio and not computer tapes.