[comp.unix.questions] unix system as starlan server

jack@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jack Nelson) (03/06/87)

 Is anyone using a 3b or other unix box as a starlan server
for msdos machines?  AT&T sells 6300+ as a server, but it isn't
clear how much a unix box to do the same would gain: uucp, other
unix utilities in terminal mode from a pc, I suppose.  Is there
a pc-networking discussion on usenet?
UUCP: { akgua | allegra | cmcl2 | idis | ihnp4 | mi-cec | pitt |
	psuvax1 | sun | sunrise | vax135 } ! cadre ! nelslab ! jack
ARPA: jack@cadre.PITTSBURGH.EDU
John P. Nelson, M.D., 3811 O'Hara St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, t:412-624-1769
Dept. of Psychiatry, U. of Pittsburgh

halloran@unirot.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (03/06/87)

In article <633@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> jack@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jack Nelson) writes:
> Is anyone using a 3b or other unix box as a starlan server
>for msdos machines?  AT&T sells 6300+ as a server, but it isn't
>clear how much a unix box to do the same would gain: uucp, other
>unix utilities in terminal mode from a pc, I suppose.  Is there
>a pc-networking discussion on usenet?

There is a package available for the 3B under SVr3 only that allows
it to be used as a server under Starlan.  Given the slow penetration
of V.3 and the scarcity of Starlan cards for the 3B line, I have not
heard any usage reports.

					Bob Halloran, Consultant
UUCP: rutgers!unirot!halloran			DDD: (201)251-7514 eve ET
CSNet/ARPA: unirot!halloran@rutgers.edu
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

cwd@cuae2.ATT.COM (Chris Donahue) (03/09/87)

Just to set the record straight, there is no longer a scarcity of 3B2
STARLAN NAU cards. The short supply problem only effected the first few
months of availibility (Sept-Oct 1986).

Chris Donahue
AT&T Info. Sys. - DSD
Customer Systems Engineering