[comp.unix.questions] memory increased, performance decreased

nawaf@terak.UUCP (Nawaf K. Bitar) (03/18/87)

We have a generic VAX 11/780 running 4.2BSD with NFS mods.  We recently
upped our memory from 2M to 16M, but performance-wise we appear to have
suffered.  In addition the system can only see 8M of the 16 reporting:
	nexus type 74 unsupported (at tr 1)
Has anyone run into this before?  Are there any parameters that need
to be tuned?

Thanks for any help.

--
Nawaf Bitar
uucp:	 ...{decvax|wanginst|savax}!elrond!terak!nawaf

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/19/87)

In article <626@terak.UUCP> nawaf@terak.UUCP (Nawaf K. Bitar) writes:
>... We recently upped our memory from 2M to 16M, but performance-wise
>we appear to have suffered.  In addition the system can only see 8M
>of the 16 reporting:
> 	nexus type 74 unsupported (at tr 1)
>... Are there any parameters that need to be tuned?

The tuning has been done already in 4.3BSD, which will also see
all 16M, and which has support for nexus type 0x74, which is a 256K
chip interleaved memory controller.  Note that the kernel does not
need to speak to the memory controller for the machine to run.
The `unsupported' message means only that any single bit ECC errors
will go unreported.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu