sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) (07/12/85)

From: avinash@ubvax.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) Message-ID: <236@ubvax.UUCP>

> For all you folks interested in Indian cooking, Madhur Jaffrey now
> has a program on public television.  It's called "Madhur Jaffrey's
> Indian Cooking" and is aired at 10:30 a.m. on Saturdays on Channel
> 9 in the San Francisco Bay area.  Look up your local listings for
> the time it is aired in your area.

If the local station doesn't carry this program, then calling the station
and talking to the program director about this program (its value and its
audience) may help to get it on the local station.  I found PBS stations
very 'friendly' since they get much of their funding from the viewers of
their programs.  I don't know how Canadian [CBC] or British [BBC] stations
take to 'suggestions.'  To those trying to 'influence' their local station
into taking on this show, knowing who (which PBS station(s)) produced it
may help in 'locating' it.  Since I'm not in the S.F. area, I'm not aware
of the show's producers.  With this show, will Madhur Jaffrey become the
'Julia Child' of Indian Cooking?  How does her cookbooks compare to those
of any other author of Indian cookbooks (in being able to get the results
with whatever instructions that are given in the book)? Any good cookbooks
on Indian regional dishes?

			     Sunil Trivedi
	P.O. Box 8057, Austin, TX 78713-8057   sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
    ...!arpasite!sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA where arpasite is an ARPANET site
	...!{ihnp4,gatech,allegra,netword,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!sunil
--
					      Sunil Trivedi
					    sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA

     "Beam me up fast Scotty - there's no toilet paper down here!"
         {No reference to 'discussion' on net.women/net.flame}

dbmk1@stc.UUCP (Derek Bergin) (07/15/85)

In article <2018@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> sunil@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Sunil Trivedi) writes:
>From: avinash@ubvax.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) Message-ID: <236@ubvax.UUCP>
>
>> For all you folks interested in Indian cooking, Madhur Jaffrey now
>> has a program on public television.  It's called "Madhur Jaffrey's
>> Indian Cooking"
>their programs.  I don't know how Canadian [CBC] or British [BBC] stations
>take to 'suggestions.'

  We've been watching this series in the UK for > 6 months and it's increased
  my culinary range considerably.  Sorry folks but for once we're ahead of
  you.

Regards
  Derek

!seismo!mcvax!ukc!stc-a!dbmk1

Any correlation between the garbage above and any suspected fact should be
removed and destroyed immediately.

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (07/16/85)

> > has a program on public television.  It's called "Madhur Jaffrey's
> > Indian Cooking" and is aired at 10:30 a.m. on Saturdays on Channel
> > 9 in the San Francisco Bay area.
>
> ...  With this show, will Madhur Jaffrey become the
> 'Julia Child' of Indian Cooking?  How does her cookbooks compare to those
> of any other author of Indian cookbooks (in being able to get the results
> with whatever instructions that are given in the book)?

Highly recommended by both Indian and American friends.  Seems she walks
the narrow line between oversimplifying recipes into banality and giving
the full nine yards of ridiculous detail (ie: the stuff well beyond the
point of diminishing returns, which is fine if you have servants to do
all the tedious work but otherwise is a royal pain.)  Has been compared
to a $35 bottle of champagne.  Costly enough to be superb, cheap enough
to afford.  She also gives reasonable substitutes for hard to find
ingredients.
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

asente@Cascade.ARPA (07/18/85)

Madhur Jaffrey also wrote a superb vetetarian cookbook, "World of the
East Vegetarian Cooking."  She includes recipes from all over Asia.
Her writing style is sufficiently entertaining that I can sit down and
browse through the book just to pass the time.  There is a very
complete glossary in the back telling about all the unusual ingredients
and often what to use if you can't get them.  Best of all, she tells
how to use your food processor to speed up the preparation.  She also
is refreshingly nonpreachy about using pre-made ingredients:  none of
the "well, you can use store-bought tofu if you REALLY need to but you
should really make it yourself."

This is definately a 4-star cookbook.

	-paul asente