[comp.unix.questions] TERMCAP for Dasher D210 terminal

roberts@crash.CTS.COM (Robert Schwalbe) (03/10/87)

Has anyone written, used, or seen a TERMCAP file for the Data General Dasher
D210 or D411 terminals that work?  If so, would you kindly send it to me or
*please* let me know where I can find it?

Any and all advice would also be welcomed.

  NAME:  Robert Schwalbe
  UUCP:  {akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!roberts
  ARPA:  crash!roberts@nosc
  INET:  roberts@crash.CTS.COM

boykin@custom.UUCP (Joseph Boykin) (03/10/87)

In article <890@crash.CTS.COM>, roberts@crash.CTS.COM (Robert Schwalbe) writes:
> Has anyone written, used, or seen a TERMCAP file for the Data General Dasher
> D210 or D411 terminals that work?

As I used to work for DG, I've written a TERMCAP entry or two for their
terminals.  I've mailed one to the original poster, if someone else
needs one, feel free to ask.
--

Joe Boykin
Custom Software Systems

greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel) (03/16/87)

In article <890@crash.CTS.COM> roberts@crash.CTS.COM (Robert Schwalbe) writes:
>Has anyone written, used, or seen a TERMCAP file for the Data General Dasher
>D210 or D411 terminals that work?  ......

Be forwarned that many (all?) versions of curses use the ctl-H character
(which is the ANSI backspace) to move the cursor under some circumstances.
Unfortunately, this is the cursor home character on a Dasher.  So far, I
have been unable to find a way to coerce curses \not/ to do this; it means
that the Dasher is not very usable as a Unix terminal.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo     Greg.Noel@SanDiego.NCR.COM

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (03/17/87)

In article <1447@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) writes:
> In article <890@crash.CTS.COM> roberts@crash.CTS.COM (Robert Schwalbe) writes:
> > Has anyone written, used, or seen a TERMCAP file for the Data General Dasher
> > D210 or D411 terminals that work?  ......
> Be forwarned that many (all?) versions of curses use the ctl-H character
> (which is the ANSI backspace) to move the cursor under some circumstances.
> Unfortunately, this is the cursor home character on a Dasher.  So far, I
> have been unable to find a way to coerce curses \not/ to do this; it means
> that the Dasher is not very usable as a Unix terminal.

A *real* D210 has an ANSI mode, settable by either dip switch, or an
escape sequence.  I'm not sure about the D411, I never saw one.

Anyway, I once was forced to use a D210 on an Onyx C8002 (Unix System III).
Seems that the ANSI mode is very close to generic vt100, as far as a
termcap entry goes.  I fashioned a d210 termcap by using a vt100 as a
guide.  But, the D210 has no backspace key! (DG uses DEL as backspace)
So, with a little trickery, I used a line like the following to change
the stty modes in my .login:

    if ( $TERM == "d210" ) then stty erase '^?' kill '^a'

Since I was using the DEL key for backspace, I chose CTRL-A for Delete.
I seem to recall having to do something else during the login sequence,
but I can't remember it now.  I no longer have access to the Onyx
so I'm afraid I can't go look it up and post it.  Sigh.

- paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.	    paul@devon.UUCP	(or, if you prefer:)
Devon Computer Services	    {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul

brianc@cognos.UUCP (Brian Campbell) (03/18/87)

in article <1447@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM#, greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel) says:
#
# In article <890@crash.CTS.COM# roberts@crash.CTS.COM (Robert Schwalbe) writes:
# # Has anyone written, used, or seen a TERMCAP file for the Data General Dasher
# # D210 or D411 terminals that work?  ......
#
# Be forwarned that many (all?) versions of curses use the ctl-H character
# (which is the ANSI backspace) to move the cursor under some circumstances.
# Unfortunately, this is the cursor home character on a Dasher.  So far, I
# have been unable to find a way to coerce curses \not/ to do this; it means
# that the Dasher is not very usable as a Unix terminal.
# --
# -- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo     Greg.Noel@SanDiego.NCR.COM

True, the Dasher terminals aren't particulary useful as Unix terminals when
running in "native" mode.  It is possible to use the terminal in its ANSI
emulation mode.

I use the initialization string to put the terminal into ANSI mode and the
reset string to put it back into Dasher mode (you must include 'reset' in
your .logout)

A portion of my termcap follows:

sx|d410|d410A|Dasher 410 ANSI:\
  dc=\E[P:dl=\E[M:ei=:ic=\E[@:im=:sf=\E[S:sr=\E[T:tc=d210
sy|d210|d210A|Dasher 210 ANSI:\
  :am:bs:bw:mi:ms:ul:co#80:li#24:sg#0:ug#0:\
  :bl=^G:cd=\E[J:ce=\E[K:cl=\E[2J:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:cr=^M:do=\E[B:ho=\E[H:\
  :is=^^F@:kb=^?:kd=\E[B:kh=\E[H:kl=\E[D:kr=\E[C:ku=\E[A:\
  :k0=\E[001z:k1=\E[002z:k2=\E[003z:k3=\E[004z:k4=\E[005z:\
  :k5=\E[006z:k6=\E[007z:k7=\E[008z:k8=\E[009z:k9=\E[010z:\
  :le=^H:ll=\E[H\E[A:mb=\E[5m:md=\E[2m:me=\E[0m:mr=\E[7m:nd=\E[C:\
  :nl=\E[B:rs=\E[<0;<1;<3l:se=\E[m:so=\E[7m:ue=\E[m:up=\E[A:us=\E[4m

Note:  I've been having problems with the 'nl' sequence not working as I
expected.  Sending a newline character will often (but not always!) return
the cursor to the beginning of the next line; I've setup the 'nl' entry to
be identical to the 'do' entry for this reason.

Brian Campbell

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <1447@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) writes:
>Be forwarned that many (all?) versions of curses use the ctl-H character
>(which is the ANSI backspace) to move the cursor under some circumstances.

If your termcap description does not contain one of:
	:bs:
	:bc=^H:
	:le=^H:
then your "curses" library may be assuming too much.
Remove any of the above capabilities and install
	:le=whatever-it-takes-to-move-left-one-position:
	:bc=ditto:
and see if things improve.  ("bs" and "bc" are obsolete.)
If not, fix your curses library.