[comp.unix.questions] Snobol/Spitbol for Unix

mtarrani@pnet01.CTS.COM (03/22/87)

ICON is more a SNOBOL-influenced language than a replacement for SNOBOL.

For more info on ICON, get The ICON Programming Language, Griswold & Griswold,
Prentice-Hall (ISBN 0-13-449777-5), or contact

        ICON Project
        Department of Computer Science
        University of Arizona
        Tucson, AZ 85721

- Mike Tarrani       San Diego, CA  (and lovin' every minute of it!)
uucp:      {akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mtarrani
 or                                  ...!crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mtarrani
 or   {allegra, gould9, scgvax, ucbvax}!sdcsvax!jack!man!wolf!mtarrani
ARPA:  ...!crash!mtarrani@nosc

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (03/23/87)

I don't know, but have been led to believe that ICON, available from
University of Arizona, is the successor to Snobol.

Jim Haynes
...ucbvax!ucscc!haynes
haynes@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet

ns@maccs.UUCP (Nicholas Solntseff) (03/26/87)

In article <5335@brl-adm.ARPA> haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) writes:

>I don't know, but have been led to believe that ICON, available from
>University of Arizona, is the successor to Snobol.

This is so, although string-processing is now only a small part of ICON.

I am in favour of RISL (Reduced Instruction Set Languages) and so prefer
SNOBOL4, which I use often for small, quick text-processing jobs (mailing
labels, for example) even if I have both Catspaw SNOBOL4 and ICON on my pc.

Nick Solntseff ns@maccs.UUCP