[comp.unix.questions] How does mail forwarding work on BSD?

beede@hubcap.UUCP (03/25/87)

Maybe I missed this part of the manual; how does a user
forward mail to another machine on a 4.* BSD system?  The line

Forward to machine!user

that does the trick for system V doesn't work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Mike Beede		   UUCP: . . . ! gatech!hubcap!beede
Computer Science Dept.

lrj@batcomputer.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <137@hubcap.UUCP> beede@hubcap.UUCP (Michael Beede) writes:
>Maybe I missed this part of the manual; how does a user
>forward mail to another machine on a 4.* BSD system?  The line

>Forward to machine!user

>that does the trick for system V doesn't work.

>Mike Beede		   UUCP: . . . ! gatech!hubcap!beede

	  Under 4.[23] BSD create a file in your home directory
	named ".forward".  For the simple case, just place the
	address you wish the mail forwarded to in this file.

	  See also USD-07 _Mail_Reference_Manual_ for a complete
	description on the use of Mail under BSD Unix.  This document
	comes with BSD 4.3 (perhaps 4.2 also), and the 'roff source
	lives below /usr/doc/usd (at least it does on my vax).

--
				-- Lewis R. Jansen, LASSP Systems Grunt
					lrj@lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu