[comp.unix.questions] REQUEST for file completion for Sys V csh

han@socrates.ucsf.edu.UUCP (03/25/87)

Is there anyone out there with file completion for Sys V csh??
We would like to get it for our IRIS 2400 Turbo.  We have a source
license for 4.3 BSD Unix.  I'm sick of typing '*'.

				Thanks in advance,

				Chuck

----------------
						~Chuck Han
						~UUCP:	 ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!han
						~ARPA:	 han@cgl.ucsf.edu
						~BITNET: han@ucsfcgl.BITNET

guy@gorodish.UUCP (03/25/87)

>Is there anyone out there with file completion for Sys V csh??
>We would like to get it for our IRIS 2400 Turbo.  We have a source
>license for 4.3 BSD Unix.

There ain't no such thing as a System V "csh", in the sense of a
standard C shell for System V.  You'll have to figure out what SGI
did to the C shell, and do the same to the 4.3BSD version.

naim@alpha.UUCP (03/28/87)

/ alpha:comp.unix.questions / han@socrates.ucsf.edu (Charles S. Han%Langridge) /  4:50 pm  Mar 24, 1987 /
>Is there anyone out there with file completion for Sys V csh??
>We would like to get it for our IRIS 2400 Turbo.  We have a source
>license for 4.3 BSD Unix.  I'm sick of typing '*'.

The 4.3bsd csh has file name completion. There is a variable called 'filec'
that you can set which will enable file name completion. I however, prefer
the file name completion (and other goodies) that come with tcsh because
tcsh does file name completion visually, ie. it immediately expands the
name so that you can see it while csh does not show it expanded on your
terminal.

If you have source for the IRIS csh, you can try to integrate the 4.3bsd
or tcsh mods into it.

Given that tcsh is such a nice interface, I am surprised that it is not
more popular.

		      Naim Abdullah
		      Dept. of EECS
		      Northwestern University
		      {ihnp4, chinet}!nucsrl!naim

chris@mimsy.UUCP (03/28/87)

In article <3680008@alpha.EECS.NWU.Edu> naim@alpha.EECS.NWU.Edu
(Naim Abdullah) writes:
>The 4.3bsd csh has file name completion. There is a variable called 'filec'
>that you can set which will enable file name completion. ...
>csh does not show [the name] expanded on your terminal.

Are you sure you have the same csh?

	% set filec
	% echo fi^[^H^Hxes
	fixes
	%

Works fine for me.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

guy@gorodish.UUCP (03/28/87)

> ...tcsh does file name completion visually, ie. it immediately expands the
> name so that you can see it while csh does not show it expanded on your
> terminal.

Excuse me?  The 4.3BSD C shell *I've* seen will expand the file name on
your terminal; you type "cat /etc/passw<ESC>" and it will fill in the
"d".

minkus@castor.usc.edu.UUCP (03/31/87)

>The 4.3bsd csh has file name completion. There is a variable called 'filec'
>that you can set which will enable file name completion. I however, prefer
>the file name completion (and other goodies) that come with tcsh because
>tcsh does file name completion visually, ie. it immediately expands the
>name so that you can see it while csh does not show it expanded on your
>terminal.
>
>If you have source for the IRIS csh, you can try to integrate the 4.3bsd
>or tcsh mods into it.

Does anyone know how to get the tcsh for SysV?