[comp.unix.questions] Problems Backing Up Large Filesystems to Tape

chrisb@ALMSA-1.arpa (03/23/87)

I am trying to write dump procedures for a Sperry 5000/80 (same as Arete 1200)
running on Unix System V.2 and have run into difficulties trying to copy large
filesystems to tape using the tar and the cpio command.  I am copying at 6250
bpi in both cases.  On large filesystems that require more than one tape, both
tar and cpio go to the end of the tape, issue a tape write error message and
exit the tar or cpio command.  The volcopy command does prompt for additional
tapes; however, we have problems restoring files with this command since we do
not have an additional disk which is large enough for restoring our large
filesystems.

Is this the way the tar and cpio commands should handle end of tape or is this
something unique to the Sperry?

If this is normal, how do you backup large filesystems without writing your
own routines to calculate how much of a filesystem you copy to each tape?
We do not have source code on the Sperry so we can't modify that.

I do not currently subscribe to these mailing lists, please reply to:

Christy Blumenkamp<chrisb@almsa-1.arpa>
seismo!sysop@almsa-1.arpa
USAMC ALMSA, ATTN:  AMXAL-TS, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578
COMMERCIAL:  (314) 263-5901	AUTOVON:  693-5901

Thank you for your help.

				Christy Blumenkamp
				Operating Systems Division - ALMSA

det@herman.UUCP (03/25/87)

In article <5440@brl-adm.ARPA>, chrisb@ALMSA-1.arpa (Christine Blumenkamp) writes:
> exit the tar or cpio command.  The volcopy command does prompt for additional
> tapes; however, we have problems restoring files with this command since we do
> not have an additional disk which is large enough for restoring our large
> filesystems.
> If this is normal, how do you backup large filesystems without writing your
> own routines to calculate how much of a filesystem you copy to each tape?

Christy,

I have never used this particular command (frec), but it appears in  the  admin
manual  and  it  looks  like it could be right up your alley.  You say that you
don't have enough *space* to restore your  whole  volcopy  on  disk,  and  even
though we do on our system, its a "just barely".  My principle complaint is the
amount of time spent copying back all those reels at 1600 bpi!!   Anyway,  frec
appears  to  just need an i-node number to recover a given file from a series a
volcopy tapes, thus cancelling any need to restore the whole volcopy  to  disk.
All  you  would  have  to  do is make sure that you get a map of file names and
their i-node numbers at volcopy time.

As I have said, I haven't ever used it but I would be interested in  knowing if
anybody  out  there  has  used  this utility and what the results were (like it
*does* stop searching tapes after finding the given file(s), and  it  *doesn't*
use  scratch  files  to  make a copy of the volcopy on disk does it?).  Anyway,
this looks like an option you can check into...

derek

wescott@sauron.UUCP (03/25/87)

In article <262@herman.UUCP> det@herman.UUCP (Derek Terveer) writes:
> In article <5440@brl-adm.ARPA>, chrisb@ALMSA-1.arpa (Christine Blumenkamp) writes:
>> The volcopy command does prompt for additional tapes; however, we have
>> problems restoring files with this command since we do not have an additional
>> disk which is large enough for restoring our large filesystems.

> I have never used this particular command (frec), but it appears in  the  admin
> manual  and  it  looks  like it could be right up your alley.

I have used it.  With vanilla SystemV whatever version there is a problem:
frec will not recover files that are big enough to require triple indirect
blocks.  On the otherhand, it is as smart as it can be about reading the tape.
It stops when it has found all the blocks of the file.  It can, however, take
three or four (I'm not sure of the max) scans of the entire set before finding
all the blocks of a file, since indirect blocks found may point to data blocks
already read (and ignored).

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

tan@bronson.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <5440@brl-adm.ARPA>, chrisb@ALMSA-1.arpa (Christine Blumenkamp) writes:
# exit the tar or cpio command.  The volcopy command does prompt for additional
# tapes; however, we have problems restoring files with this command since we do
# not have an additional disk which is large enough for restoring our large
# filesystems.
# ......

    We were stuck with the same problem with Uniplus System V & V.2.
(System III still had dump/restore), Our solution was to ingore
all of System V.* backup tools and use 'bru' written by Fred Fish.
    It is not a public domain program, but it has all of the best features
of tar/cpio/dump/store/frec..... It handle multiple volumes, devices.
It does not have a 'append' mode, but then it is a backup program.

    Overall I like the program very much and I think it is well worth
the money ! It is a real sham the AT&T thinks it is reasonable for you
to keep a full sized disk just to get a few files off backup !
--
Name....:  Tan Bronson
Company.:  Microvation Consultants

jfh@killer.UUCP (04/02/87)

In article <5440@brl-adm.ARPA>, chrisb@ALMSA-1.arpa (Christine Blumenkamp) writes:
> I am trying to write dump procedures for a Sperry 5000/80 (same as Arete 1200)
> running on Unix System V.2 and have run into difficulties trying to copy large
> filesystems to tape using the tar and the cpio command.  I am copying at 6250
> bpi in both cases.  On large filesystems that require more than one tape, both
> tar and cpio go to the end of the tape, issue a tape write error message and
> exit the tar or cpio command.  The volcopy command does prompt for additional
> tapes; however, we have problems restoring files with this command since we do
> not have an additional disk which is large enough for restoring our large
> filesystems.

I have had this same problem on a number of systems (V7, V.2, BSD).  The old
dd(1) program seems to work well as both tar(1) and cpio(1) have means for
requesting the standard input and standard output as the input and output.
Try this:
	cpio -o < file_list | \
	while :
	do
		dd of=tape_drive bs=block_size count=some_number
	done

(Your milage may vary, and there is something wrong, I can feel it...)

Sorry I didn't EMAIL you the answer, but I don't know how well mail works
out of this system...

- john.		(jfh@killer.UUCP)