[comp.unix.questions] Public domain shell for Sys V...

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (04/02/87)

Does anyone have or know about a public domain shell or program that will run
on system V that will allow me to do "history"???  I'm really getting tired of
typeing commands in again and again and again.

Thanx
--
Mitchell Lerner
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <1457@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>Does anyone have or know about a public domain shell or program that will run
>on system V that will allow me to do "history"???

I doubt very much that there is a full shell like that in the public domain.
If you have an SVR2 source license you could install the BRL Bourne shell,
which supports history and several other useful things (the System V
environment history support is not quite ready but it should be soon).

Another alternative is to wrap the shell with a history/editing front
end process, such as "inedit" from the AT&T UNIX System ToolChest.
(Warning!  It has embedded control characters in its source; fix them!)