[comp.unix.questions] Help on Rand Mail handler sought

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (04/14/87)

	I am trying to upgrade my ancient version of MH (no version
numbers appear in the object code and I do not have source).  The
version I am trying to install is marked 6.1.  My machine is a Masscomp
5400 (68020) running RTU (BSD/SV blend).  I am compiling in the ucb
universe.  I have spent 45+ hours trying to debug this and feel that it
is time to ask for help.  Here are the symptoms:

	1)  rmail tosses away incoming mail.  I have traced this to a
	bug in post where hdrtab was not initialized causing post to
	fail.  Now, I get mail that the message was delivered but still
	no message (all the temp files seem to be built correctly).
	Also, comp with Cc or Bcc does not put the message into my
	mailbox either (probably same bug).

	2) scan gives error messages on "holes" in a folder.  My old
	version would skip over holes.  show, next and prev all give
	similar errors.

	3) folder -pack dies on holes with a similar complaint.

All of these seem to indicate that this version of MH could NEVER have
functioned on any hardware.  The sources were retrieved from pyramid out
of their mod.sources area.  If anyone familiar with MH could contact me,
I would appreciate it, otherwise, I'm going to look into elm (although
there are a number of people in my building who would like to upgrade
their MH).  If I am just running an obsolete version (suspected after
the bugs I have found), I would appreviate a pointer to the updated
source.
--
Michael R. Wayne	     Voice:  (313) 322-3986 |    philabs \
Working at (but not employed by) Ford Motor Company |    pyramid  !fmsrl7!wayne

cranor@louie.udel.EDU (04/15/87)

>From: "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@fmsrl7.uucp>
>Date: 13 Apr 87 23:07:59 GMT
>Subject: Help on Rand Mail handler sought

>version I am trying to install is marked 6.1.  My machine is a Masscomp

>their MH).  If I am just running an obsolete version (suspected after
>the bugs I have found), I would appreviate a pointer to the updated
>source.

Michael-
  Yes, if you are running MH-6.1 you are running an old version.
Here's what we have:

version: MH 6.5 #1[UCI] (nrtc-gremlin) of Sun May  4 18:09:17 PDT 1986
         [WHATNOW] [SENDMTS] [MMDFII] [SMTP] [POP] [BPOP]

(as reported by comp -help).

If you want MH-6.5 we have it on anonymous ftp.  It's host
"louie.udel.edu" file "portal/mh-6.tar" (there is also
a compressed version, portal/mh-6.tar.Z).

If you don't have access to ftp we may be able to do something
with tape, but I'm not sure what.   Ftp would be easyer. . .

					Chuck Cranor

					cranor@udel.edu (arpa)

brandon@tdi2.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (04/20/87)

Quoted from <6894@brl-adm.ARPA> ["Re: Help on Rand Mail handler sought"], by cranor@louie.udel.EDU (Chuck Cranor)...
+---------------
| If you want MH-6.5 we have it on anonymous ftp.  It's host
| "louie.udel.edu" file "portal/mh-6.tar" (there is also
| a compressed version, portal/mh-6.tar.Z).

Is someone able to make MH available on 1600bpi tar tape?  Are there any
special licensing arrangements needed (such as with RCS, which contains some
AT&T code)?

advTHANKSance,
++Brando
--
Brandon S. Allbery	           UUCP: cbatt!cwruecmp!ncoast!tdi2!brandon
Tridelta Industries, Inc.         CSNET: ncoast!allbery@Case