[net.cooks] Looking for cilantro around Boston

keesan@bbnccv.UUCP (Morris M. Keesan) (06/25/85)

In article <139@aoa.UUCP> mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) writes:
>Does anybody know of a source for cilantro (sp?) in the Boston area?
>This is an herb with a unique and wonderfully pungent flavor.  It was
>readily available in the (other) bay area (i.e. SF), where it also
>went under the name of "Chinese parsley".

Cilantro, also known as "Chinese parsley", aka "aromatic parsley", is commonly
called "coriander" in English ("Cilantro" is its Spanish name).  Except for
"coriander", all the names refer only to the leaves of the plant.  The seeds
are also used as a spice.
    Many people (myself included) think that coriander leaves taste like soap.
Those who don't think so generally can't understand this at all.  I've been
told recently that this is genetic, like the ability to roll ones tongue.
--
Morris M. Keesan
keesan@bbn-unix.ARPA

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (06/25/85)

Most supermarkets in "upscale" (yupscale?) neighborhoods around Boston
sell cilantro in their produce departments.  For example, the Star in
Porter Square has the stuff.  Also, most Latin American food stores
(such as those in Jamaica Plain) have it too.

I include myself with those who think it tastes like soap, at least if
used without great restraint.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

friedman@h-sc1.UUCP (dawn friedman) (06/25/85)

> Most supermarkets in "upscale" (yupscale?) neighborhoods around Boston
> sell cilantro in their produce departments.  For example, the Star in
> Porter Square has the stuff.  Also, most Latin American food stores
> (such as those in Jamaica Plain) have it too.
>
> I include myself with those who think it tastes like soap, at least if
> used without great restraint.

You can also find it on (O.C.) and in (various) dishes in the Central
Square Indian restaurants.  As a member of the soap-voters, I would
like to find out how to make it go _away_; i.e., what is the best way
for a speaker of no Asian languages besides a few words of Sanskrit
to get it left out of my dishes?  Or should I be asking some other
.group?
                 Dawn Sharon
                 (dsf/Shacharah)

lewish@acf2.UUCP (Henry M. Lewis) (06/28/85)

Eating coriander reminds me of nothing so much as having a migraine.
Too bad, because I love Mexican food.

--Hank Lewis   ..!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf2!lewish

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (06/29/85)

I just bought a bunch of fresh and dried cilantro at Bread and Circus on
Harvard Street in Brookline.

(is this Boston cilantro discussion going all over the world?)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

ewj@hscfvax.UUCP (850039@P.Fuller) (07/10/85)

I have never used fresh cilantro, but frequently used powdered coriander
and like it very much for certain things.  What are you planning to do
with the fresh cilantro?

You may be able to find the fresh cilantro at Bread and Circus in
Brookline, Cambridge, or Wellesley.(3 stores). They do have powdered
and whole dried coriander seed. Or,try Purity Supreme in Allston.

cat@tommif.UUCP (Catherine Mikkelsen) (07/14/85)

> What are you planning to do
> with the fresh cilantro?

AHA!!  One of my pet spices!! I use cilantro in mexican food (i.e. salsa)
and chinese food.  If you have ever eaten chinese chicken salad and
wondered what that pungent parsley-like herb was -- it's cilantro.

I quote from *The Complete Book of Mexican Cookery* by Elisabeth Lambert
Ortiz: *One of the most important herbs is fresh green coriander (as
distinct from the seeds), known in Mexico as cilantro and in Puerto Rico
as culantro... A member of the parsley family...it is also known as Chinese
parsley and is available in Chinese markets, markets that specialize in
foods from India, and many Puerto Rican and Latin markets...
Though easy to grow from seed, it unfortunately does not dry well.  It is
sold with its roots on; they should not be removed until the cilantro is
used...Do not rinse before storing, as it will rot very quickly...It can
be frozen.*

Certainly more than you ever dreamed (or wanted) to know about cilantro!

Cilantro is almost always included in Ms. Ortiz's recipes for salsa, which
can be made with either fresh or canned chopped tomatoes, serrano or jalapeno
peppers (which have been roasted, skinned, had the insides removed, and then
chopped), chopped onions, and some garlic.

Before I run out of steam, cilantro is also excellent in -- oh no, I forgot
the name -- a dish made of raw white fish marinated in lime juice and
variations of the above salsa recipe.  What's that stuff called again??

At any rate, I suggest *The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook* by Gloria
Bley Miller for further Chinese recipes.  OH -- the raw fish dish is called
ceviche.

Catherine Mikkelsen
decwrl!greipa!tommif!cat

zwicky@osu-eddie.UUCP (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) (07/23/85)

Cilantro, fresh, should be possible to get at a farmers' market. ON
THE OTHER HAND, be sure that what you want is fresh cilantro, also
known as coriander. It tastes like soap. Some people, to be sure, think
that it tastes like Good Soap, and like to eat it; personally, I just
think it tastes like soap. If you have a garden, you can grow it from
seed easily, and if you surround the plants that rabbits like to eat with
it, it will help keep them away. Rabbits apparently agree with me about
the taste; they won't touch the stuff. Dried Cilantro is not at all the
same, nor is coriander seed, dried. If what you want is one of them
any reputable grocery store should be able to help you, and they don't
taste like soap. By the way, fresh coriander looks almost identical
to Italian (flat) parsley, which I would eat raw forever happily.

-Elizabeth D. Zwicky