[net.cooks] Ice Cream Recipes Summary

joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joseph D. Loda) (07/23/85)

Well, here are all the responses I have received in regards to my request
for favorite ice cream recipes.  Thanks to all those who responded; I can't
wait to try some of these out!

I've got just the recipe you are asking for.  I never
liked homemade ice cream because I felt it always
tasted "watery". However, when I met my (now) husbands
Grandma, she gave me the best recipe I've ever had.
It is sort of a generic recipe. By that I mean you can
add in anything you want. My favorite is Oreos. Here
goes:

5 eggs
2 quarts half n half
1 pint cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 C sugar
1 can evaporated milk

You don't have to cook anything. So it can be done at
the "spur of the moment" if necessary. As a hint if
you decide to do the oreos, crumble them all up, add
about half to the original "soup". Then, when the ice
cream is about done ( ours is electric and you can tell
when the motor is just beginning to struggle) I add in
the remainder of the cookies. This lets the taste of the
cookie get all the way though, but you still end up with
bits of cookie in the grand finale.

EAT UP!!!!!!!!!!

Debbie Matthews
ATT Bell Laboratories
Columbus, Ohio

{allegra|ihnp4}!cbdkc1!djm

Some time ago on the net someone else asked about ice cream recipes.  I posted
a very simple recipe, and there were a couple of fancier recipes posted as
well.

If you don't have the instruction booklet for the appliance (try writing to
the manufacturer, who probably includes a few recipes in the instructions)
then experiment with a crushed-ice/rock salt mixture, especially if your
machine is kind of tall and skinny, in the bucket.  (My 2-quart Waring Ice
Cream Machine does very well with ordinary ice cubes and table salt but it
has the room in the bucket for ice cubes.)  Whatever mixture you process
should become very thick and "milk-shake-y" before you take it out of the
freezer can to finish freezing in a deep freezer.  (My Waring unit auto-
matically slows down and stalls as this happens.)

My simple recipe is to mix two big (13 oz) cans of evaporated milk plus
one small (5.33 oz) can of the same with 1 cup sugar, an optional 1/4
teaspoon salt, a teaspoon or so of liquid vanilla, and whatever flavoring
is desired and chill well, then freeze in the ice cream machine (yield about
2 quarts).  Use 5 large cans of evaporated milk if this is doubled to a gallon.
(This refers to the frozen yield; it expands as it freezes.)  Flavoring can
consist of cocoa for chocolate, one to two cups of cut-up fruit which have
been chilled overnight with the sugar spread over top of it (keeps the fruit
from freezing rock solid later), pureed fruit, instant coffee, nuts, nothing
(for plain vanilla--use more vanilla extract in this case).  By using 1/2
cup of orange-flavor Tang or similar powdered orange-flavor breakfast drink
instead of 1/2 cup of the sugar you can come up with a pretty good imitation
"sherbet."  Strictly speaking, my recipe is for ice milk, not ice cream, but
as ice milks go it is better than the whole milk based recipes that I got with
my ice cream machine for ice milk and it is more economical than using heavy
cream, if you are a real homemade frozen dessert fiend.  (Don't use lowfat
evaporated milk--use the regular kind.  I am not referring to the sweetened
condensed milk such as Borden Eagle Brand, which for as much as I can tell by
looking at the label is just ordinary evaporated milk in which has been dis-
solved a great deal of sugar.)

Here are a couple of other recipes which were on the net earlier.

>From: thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas)
>
>Here are some basic ice cream recipes I have used.  Quantities may be
>varied to individual taste.
>
>1.      1/2 heavy cream, 1/2 light cream or milk (depending on how
>        creamy you want it).  Add flavoring and freeze.
>        (One flavor I've used recently: 1c of strawberry puree to
>        1qt of liquid.)
>
>2.      2c milk, 2c heavy cream (or adjust as above), 4 - 5 egg yolks.
>        Mix and heat in a double boiler (over barely simmering water),
>        stirring constantly until it thickens.  Add vanilla (if making
>        chocolate, add grated chocolate at this point).  Cover with
>        plastic wrap (put the wrap right down on the top of the custard),
>        and cool to room temperature (or below).  Add flavoring (unless
>        already added above), and freeze.  This makes an extremely smooth
>        ice cream.
>        (I guess that some other flavorings can be added at the beginning -
>        for example, when making coffee ice cream, substitute 1/2 c of VERY
>        STRONG coffee for 1/2 c of milk.)
>
>3.      Puree fruit (e.g., melon).  Add 1 to 1 sugar-water solution "to
>        taste" (I would suggest probably 1c sugar + 1c water to 3c of fruit,
>        but it varies with the fruit.)  Freeze.  (You will have to boil
>        the sugar water to get it to dissolve.  Cool it before freezing.)
>        Variation: add some mint leaves to the sugar water as it is cooling.
>        Remove them before freezing.  Makes a nice Italian ice.
>--
>=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas\@utah-cs.ARPA)

>From: kathyd@azure.UUCP (Kathy Dagostino)
>
>>From the July 1985 issue of Bon Appetit,
>here is an ice cream recipe for those lucky people
>with ice cream machines.
>
>-------------------------------
>Raspberry chocolate truffle ice cream
>
>1/2 cup superfine sugar
>1/2 cup water
>4 egg yolks
>8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
>1 cup raspberries, coarsely chopped
>1 cup whipping cream, beaten to soft peaks
>
>Cook sugar and water in heavy pan over low heat, swirling pan
>occasionally, until sugar dissolves.  Increase heat and bring to
>a boil.  In separate bowl, using electric mixer, beat yolks
>until pale yellow and slowly
>dissolving ribbon forms when beaters are lifted.  Slowly beat in hot syrup.
>Return to saucepan.  Stir over low heat until mixture thickens and
>finger leaves path when drrawn across spoon, about 4 minutes;
>DO NOT BOIL OR YOU'LL BE SORRY.  Immediately strain into metal
>bowl.  Set bowl into larger bowl filled with ice (or cover and
>refrigerate overnight).  Cool custard completely, stirring once in a while.
>
>Whisk chocolate into custard.  Fold in berries and whipped cream.
>Process in ice cream maker.  Freeze ice cream in covered
>container several hours to mellow.

Bon appetit.  I'm sure you will enjoy your new ice cream machine.  (Now if
I can just figure out why my blue jeans are all too small :-)).

Dan Levy
AT&T Teletype Corp.
Skokie, Ill.
..!ihnp4!ttrdc!(ttbcad!)levy

Hiya.  Even though they have just posted a massive watermelon recall
here in jolly california, I enclose herewith my revered grandmother's
low-cal low-salt hot shit (oops) recipe for watermelon ice cream.  Honestly,
this stuff is great.

1.5 cups of watermelon juice
1 cup of milk
about 3/4 cup sugar
dash salt.

I tend to cook a lot of light foods, and I experiment also by using
less sugar and salt in things.  The above recipe, for example, originally
called for 1 cup of sugar.

Another one of my favorites is fresh grapefruit sorbet.  I served it last
night with a few sprigs of mint.  To make any type of sorbet -- at least any
type of citrus sorbet -- I suggest that you first make a simple syrup by
combining 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup water.  Bring to a boil and cool.  You can
keep this syrup in the refrigerator and use it in subsequent batches.

Then squeeze your grapefruit.  Add a little of the sugar (1/4 cup maybe) to
about 2 cups of the grapefruit juice, and stick the stuff in your freezer.i

Taste as it freezes.  I prefer to keep sorbets of this sort rather tart,
but you can pour as
much syrup as you wish into the mix.  Why make a syrup??  Texture.

Also good in grapefruit sorbet -- champagne.

One more note :  you don't need an ice cream freezer to make either of the
above.  Grandma just sticks the watermelon stuff in her freezer and stirs
it every so often.  You may want to post that to the net.

Have fun.  Catherine Mikkelsen
descrl!greipa!tommif!cat

The latest issue of BON APPETIT has some ice cream recipes. This
issue has a picture of ice cream on the cover. I tried the caramel,peanut
and chocolate recipe and thought it was excellent.

Joe Loda
Analysts International (Chicago Branch)
(312) 882-4673
..!ihnp4!aicchi!joeloda