[comp.unix.questions] Searching for the "ideal" terminal

jmr@motown.UUCP (John M. Ritter) (05/01/87)

We're looking for the "perfect" terminal for Unix applications and
programming. Everybody seems to be making standard 24 x 80 character
screens, however I'm looking for something different...

Our current terminals display 24 lines by either 80 or 132 characters,
and are VT100 look-alikes. This is fine for just about everything, but
it would be nice to have a screen where I can see and entire (?)
function at one time!

The Ann Arbor Ambassador terminals have all of the features for which
I'm looking, except for one little problem -- unless I can be
convinced this isn't a problem:

The terminal is *always* in "normal" mode. That is, you must send it
codes to get high intensity. What I need is a terminal that is
*always* high intensity (forget video brightness!). I know that you
can send a code to the AAA to do this, but it is only temporary. After
the first escape to the shell from vi, it's all lost.

I'm willing to research any vendor. Only *real* needs are:

	* VT100 look-alike
	* 60 rows or better display
	* 80 column (132 will not be refused!)
	* function keys - preferably programmable

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
"I enjoy working with human beings, and                         John M. Ritter
have stimulating relationships with them."                  Allied-Signal Inc.
                            - HAL 9000                Corporate Tax Department
                      {bellcore,clyde,ihnp4,princeton,rutgers,sys1}!motown!jmr

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (05/04/87)

>The terminal is *always* in "normal" mode. That is, you must send it
>codes to get high intensity. What I need is a terminal that is
>*always* high intensity (forget video brightness!). I know that you
>can send a code to the AAA to do this, but it is only temporary. After
>the first escape to the shell from vi, it's all lost.

What it seems you should do is alter the termcap entry so that it
doesn't clear (or more precisely that it sets only) high-intensity
mode when exiting "visual" mode.  The "ve" field in termcap is the
culprit.  (If you have terminfo, the same advice applies, but I don't
know the name of the field in question.)

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

love@f103a.UUCP (love) (05/04/87)

In article <1314@motown.UUCP> jmr@motown.UUCP (John M. Ritter) writes:
>We're looking for the "perfect" terminal for Unix applications and
>programming. Everybody seems to be making standard 24 x 80 character
>screens, however I'm looking for something different...

I'm working with a Facit Twist terminal, that at a first glare may look
like any other terminal on the market.
But you may actually twist the terminal screen and get 72*80 characters
on the screen, at the same time. Of course, the characters are pretty small
in this mode (7*16 pixels on a 15" screen), but since it has a refresh
rate of 65 Hz, you'll get a perfect picture with no flickering at all, even
with black characters on a white background. When you are programming with
the terminal in this mode, you have a tremendous view over what you are
doing. The terminal has a complete VT100 "instruction" set plus some extra
screen handling sequenses.

Now the problems:
1) It has some bugs in the software that may result that you suddenly can
   only type upper case letters. You can get out of it by fiddeling with the
   Caps Lock key, but it is still pretty annoying. This occurs about once
   an hour.
2) To keep the picture stable with such small charcers you will need some
   really hot stuff in the monitor to avoid flickering. This means that the
   screen has the highest radiation level of all the terminals on the swedish
   market. Maybe you'll get tanned after a 20 hour session? Who knows? :-)
3) I have no idea how widespread this terminal is outside Sweden. It is
   sold by Ericson, that took over the Facit Corp. a few yers ago, and
   Ericson is a multinational thing. But I still haven't seen the Twist
   terminal in any other country than my own (== Sweden).

If somebody out there is intrested in more info about this beast, please
email me, or give me a call, and I'll send you a manual.

      ####                           ! In real life   : Love Feuer
    ########    F|rsvarets           ! In unreal life : enea!f103a!love
  ####    ####  Rationaliserings     ! Phone:         : +46 8 21 62 78
########## ###                       !Disclaimer:
  ###           The Swedish          ! The opinions expressed herein are not
  ### #### ###  Institute of         ! necessarily those of my employer,
  ### ###  ###  Defence Organization ! probably not those of my computer,
  ### ##   ###  and Management.      ! and maybe not even those of myown.