[comp.unix.questions] stupid timezone questions

kdavis@Sun.COM (05/09/87)

How does one . /etc/TIMEZONE incoming uucico in SYSV.2? so that
you can get correct time?  Thanks!

-----
Ken Davis - Letterman Army Medical Center - Presidio of San Francisco
     {ptsfa,well,hoptoad}!lamc!kdavis  kdavis@optimis-pent.arpa

guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (05/10/87)

> How does one . /etc/TIMEZONE incoming uucico in SYSV.2? so that
> you can get correct time?  Thanks!

Well, you can try the following script:

	#! /bin/sh
	#
	# Yes, I know the above probably won't help on a vanilla
	# S5 system, but it can't hurt, and on some S5 systems
	# it *will* work.
	#
	. /etc/TIMEZONE	# forcibly set TZ
	#
	# Get around Bourne shell bug, present in all vanilla
	# Bourne shells prior to the S5R3 one, that causes "$@"
	# to expand to "", rather than nothing, if there are no
	# arguments to the script.
	#
	if [ $# != 0 ]
	then
		exec /usr/lib/uucp/uucico "$@"
	else
		exec /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
	fi

Call this script something like "/usr/lib/uucp/uucicoscript", and
make that, rather than "/usr/lib/uucp/uucico", the login shell for
UUCP accounts.  UNIX permits a login shell to be a shell script,
unless a vendor removed this capability in a state of confusion.
This script will run "uucico" with the proper value of TZ.

rcw@upas.UUCP (05/11/87)

This line == can of raid

In article 928, kdavis@sun.COM writes:
> How does one . /etc/TIMEZONE incoming uucico in SYSV.2? so that
> you can get correct time?  Thanks!

We have found that the following script called /usr/lib/uucp/uushell
solves this problem on our System V system. You may have to modify this
somewhat if you have an /etc/TIMEZONE script (apparently the standard).
On our system, TZ contains only the following: MST7MDT

:
if [ -f /etc/TZ -a -r /etc/TZ ]; then
	TZ=`cat /etc/TZ`
	export TZ
fi
exec /usr/lib/uucp/uucico $*

Specify /usr/lib/uucp/uushell instead of /usr/lib/uucp/uucico in
the /etc/passwd file. Admittedly, it is kludgy, but it works.

Robert C. White, Jr.
Graphics Information, Inc.
UUCP: seismo!nbires!hao!scicom!qetzal!gii!rcw

dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) (05/11/87)

In article <7312@brl-adm.ARPA>, ptsfa!lamc!kdavis@Sun.COM writes:
> How does one . /etc/TIMEZONE incoming uucico in SYSV.2? so that
> you can get correct time?  Thanks!

I have /bin/sh as the login shell for uucp logins with the following .profile

. /etc/TIMEZONE
exec /usr/lib/uucp/uucico

Obnoxious, but it works.  Can someone at AT&T explain why they didn't see fit
to make it a system global overideable with an environment variable?  After
all, there aren't *that* many systems with all of the users in different
time zones.

--
David L. Smith
sdcsvax!sdamos!sdeggo!dave, ihnp4!jack!man!sdeggo!dave, hp-sdd!crash!sdeggo!dave