[comp.unix.questions] acct.c SysVr2

DUMAS@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Jean-Pierre Dumas) (05/11/87)

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 03:33:38 PDT
From: Jean-Pierre Dumas <DUMAS@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: acct.c SysVr2
To: unix-wizards@BRL-SEM.ARPA
cc: dumas@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU

On the SysVr2 there is no way to switch the pacct file on the fly (to
write acct records on an other file, without stopping the whole thing by
turnacct).
This is a problem on one of the system here (A Cray2) where the pacct file
gets over 20 Megabytes big very fast...
We need a solution, clean. (Normaly one has to stop the acct collecting,
then to restart it with a new file; but in the mean time some acct
information is lost...)
One solution would be to have a new/modified kernel call, having the
new inode# as argument, to switch from the current pacct file inode,
to an inode of the new pacct file (already created).
Any opinion ? Any hint ? Any help ?  (We need some.)

Great thanks in advance,
Jean-Pierre Dumas (dumas@sumex-aim.stanford.edu)

P.S. reply directly, as I can read very often the bboards.
-------
Org
Org