[comp.unix.questions] Using `navclock' to set time

earle@jplopto.uucp (Gregory Earle (40876)) (05/11/87)

In article <3734@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, I wrote:
>... UTC ... (303) 499-7111

Erm, I think this was supposed to be (303) 449-7111.  Sorry for any
accidental long distance bills caused by that  :-) ...
As Chris mentioned, this is Human Readable (aka Voice), not machine.

How does one use `navclock'?  Do you use `tip' to call the number,
then use that funky ~C tip tilde escape to `connect' the `navclock'
program to the `remote machine' (in this case the other end of the
phone line)?  Or some other way?  If tip, any other things to know
about, like setting any of the tip options?

--
	Greg Earle		earle@{jplpub1,jplopto}.JPL.NASA.GOV
	(Now ex-)JPL		jpl{pub1,opto}!earle@jpl-elroy.ARPA

forys@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Forys) (05/11/87)

In article <3737@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> earle@jplopto.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle)
writes:
> In article <3734@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, Greg Earle first wrote:
> >... UTC ... (303) 499-7111
> Erm, I think this was supposed to be (303) 449-7111.

You had it right the first time!  The UTC voice number is (303) 499-7111.
'tis a local call (so I call it every 5 minutes, just for kicks :-)...

chris@mimsy.UUCP (05/12/87)

In article <3737@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> earle@jplopto.uucp (Gregory
Earle (40876)) writes:
>How does one use `navclock'?

Actually, we run it under `x', nightly via cron.  You probably do
not have x, for it was written here.  It is a fair bit longer than
navclock, and I hesitate to post it.
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris

devine@vianet.UUCP (05/13/87)

In article <3737@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, earle@jplopto.uucp (Gregory Earle (40876)) writes:
> >... UTC ... (303) 499-7111
> Erm, I think this was supposed to be (303) 449-7111.  Sorry for any

  No. You were right the first time -- 303/499-7111.  This gives you the
audio portion of the live broadcast from WWV in Colorado.  Call 808/335-4363
for WWVH from the island of Kauai, Hawaii if you want to blow some bucks.

  The best way to use WWV time broadcasts is to purchase a receiver for
the radio signal broadcast.  Several sources are available.  Radio
Shack has a unit (check with them, I haven't looked through their catalog
for a while), so does Spectracom Corp (about $500 for the box, send me mail
for their address) and another company that I can't remember now.

Bob Devine

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (05/13/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.3 of Tue Apr  7 1987 on teknowledge-vaxc (berkeley-unix)

Another (possibly less-expensive) source for a time-check signal can
is the U.S. Naval Observatory at (900) 410-TIME [410-8463 for those
without letters on their dials/pads].  This costs $.50 for the first
minute and $.35 for each minute thereafter (the last time I
checked...).  I seem to recall reading that this service is
implemented using some sort of special phone lines that ensure a
minimum delay between the sender and the receiver (presumably there
are no geostationary-satellite links involved).  Also, it's capable
of accepting a very large number of calls at once (over a thousand, I
believe) so you're unlikely to encounter a busy signal.

This number may be available only over AT&T lines... if you have a
different long-distance carrier, and receive a "no such number"
recording when you dial, try dialing 10288 first to force the call to
be sent over AT&T.

Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T;  I do own a few shares of AT&T
stock but probably won't get rich from the dividends of any 900-area
calls you may happen to make...