[comp.unix.questions] Unix for 80286

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (05/10/87)

In article <218@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>If there are any releases of Unix V/BSD that run on 80286 based PC's I would
>be interested in hearing about those too.

I am running Microport System V/AT version 2.2L on an AT from PC's Limited.

This is essentially a 100% port of AT&T's System V Release 2.0.  I think
the only exception is that it currently does not have the sxt driver
needed to support the layered shell.  It is expected to be added in the
next release.

However, Microport has added its own terminal driver that supports
true virtual terminals.  By typing Alt-F1 through Alt-F4, you can get
any one of four separate completely independent consoles, each running
its own shell and having its own complete screen image.  This is my
favorite feature of System V/AT.

Support for the two standard serial ports is good.  The serial driver
allows the same port to be used for both outgoing and incoming calls.
(I.e., cu and uucp can make outgoing calls;  meanwhile, the getty
process simply waits suspended until an incoming call activates the
carrier detect on the modem.)  According to the documentation, several
commercially available serial boards with multiple serial ports are
supported.

The package somes with all the usual SVR2 utlities; these include sdb,
f77, and a C compiler that supports small (64 K code & 64 K data) and
large (1 M code, 1 M data, individual functions and data items limited
to 64 K each).  The C compiler is about half as fast as Microsoft C 3.0
under MS-DOS on the same hardware.

Also included is the C-shell, which AT&T's SYSVR2 does not have.
(About a 98% implementation of csh, actually;  a few minor features,
like directory stacks, and one major feature, job control, missing.).
A version of the Korn shell is available from other sources (no job
control though) but not included in this package.  The usual Bourne
shell is there.  A 99% complete version of vi is there, the one
significant feature missing being the ability to say ":n *.c" from
within it -- this vi won't expand wildcards on a command line.
The documentation says vi will handle tags, but there seems to be
no facility that I could find to let you create a tags file.  I don't
know if AT&T's SVR2 supplies one.

Sys V/AT handles MS-DOS disks very nicely.  It can read and write
IBM-format floppies (both 360 K and 1.2 M) and it can also read/write
an MS-DOS partition, if you have one, on your hard disk.  Other bonuses
include: a nice script-driven phone dialler; a terminfo decompiler (alas,
doesn't convert to direct termcap but output it can be hand edited to
get that); and executable Kermit.

There are occasional minor problems when you try to run sh scripts from
within csh;  these are supposed to be correctable by adding an
appropriate line at the beginning of each script, but I was not
always successful doing this.

The package is not entirely bug-free, but Microport documents the known
bugs and work-arounds so well (and so honestly) that I find it
preferable to other packages that only document bugs *after* they are
fixed.  Of course, the usual bu--er--features inherent in any release
of SVR2 are all there.

The whole package was about $360 when I bought it, but the price has
recently gone up to about $450.  (You need an additional license to
have more than one person logged in on serial ports.  The version
I'm talking about allows up to two simultaneous logins, with all
virtual sessions on the console collectively counting as one login.)

Support:  My only encounter with Micoport support was caused by the
fact that the distribution disks are not write protected, and the
initial boot disk cannot be write-protected during installation.  The
boot disk self-destructed during installation.  Microport offered me
the choice of a new boot disk for $15 or a full upgrade to a later
version (2.2) for $25.  I took the upgrade -- once again, disks were
not write-protected -- and the boot disk self-destructed again.  This
time they shipped me a replacement at no charge and it worked
perfectly.  Thus, I conclude that though the distribution technique is
terrible, support is good.  (Toll-free too, and available 24 hours per
day -- quite unbelievably incredible in this business.)

To summarize:  Microport System V/AT is a good, accurate port of SYSVR2
and Microport has added additional features that make it *better* than
anything AT&T directly supplies.  It's a steal at its current price.

P.S.  Having said all this, I should also say that no version of SVR2
(or SVR3, for that matter) can hold a candle to 4.3BSD.  But that's
another story.
--
Rahul Dhesi
ARPA:  bsu-cs!dhesi@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/12/87)

%
%I am running Microport System V/AT version 2.2L on an AT from PC's Limited.
%
%This is essentially a 100% port of AT&T's System V Release 2.0.  I think
%... lots of complements deleted ...
%
%Support for the two standard serial ports is good.  The serial driver
%allows the same port to be used for both outgoing and incoming calls.
%(I.e., cu and uucp can make outgoing calls;  meanwhile, the getty
%process simply waits suspended until an incoming call activates the
%carrier detect on the modem.)  According to the documentation, several
%commercially available serial boards with multiple serial ports are
%supported.

Mport is a nice package, but I would not call the serial support good
without relating that there are problems using the ports at high speed.
We have seen repeated "double panic" messages when running the ports
to a Vax at 9600 baud. Mport suggested slowing the ports down as a fix.
However, it will be fixed in a future release. All this on real IBM hardware,
so it's not a compatibility problem.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \	ARPA: wedu@ge-crd.arpa
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (05/16/87)

In article <570@bsu-cs.UUCP> I wrote:
        I am running Microport System V/AT version 2.2L on an AT from
        PC's Limited.  Support for the two standard serial ports is
        good....

In article <5976@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP
(William E. Davidsen Jr) responded:
        Mport is a nice package, but I would not call the serial
        support good...
        [complaints deleted]
        ...All this on real IBM hardware, so it's not a compatibility
        problem.

Yes, it COULD be a compatiblity problem.  Perhaps you should be using an
AT from PC's Limited.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi