[comp.unix.questions] nroff .TP spacing

jrb@petro.UUCP (05/15/87)

I have been trying to get nroff to create tagged indented paragraphs without
dropping down an extra line.

----- I want
tag1	paragraph1 and
	other hanging stuff
tag2	paragraph2 and hanging
	stuff belonging to
	the second tag
tag3	etc
-----

------ I'm getting
tag1	paragraph1 and
	other hanging stuff

tag2	paragraph2 and ...
------

I've tried everything in the -man macro library.  'TP doesn't work, and I can't
get anything to not give me the extra blank line.  Before I go hacking on my
-man macro package I'd be curious to learn how to make it work with the
existing tools.  The "FILES" section in the "UNIX programmer's manual" does
the unbroken .IPs, and /they/ wrote the -man package... so there /must/ be a
way to do it.

Jon
--
Jon Boede				...!{ihnp4,akgua,gatech}!petro!jrb
512/599-1847				2555 N.E. Loop 410, #1403, 78217

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (05/17/87)

In article <301@petro.UUCP>, jrb@petro.UUCP (Jon Boede) writes:
> I have been trying to get nroff to create tagged indented paragraphs without
> dropping down an extra line.

There is a macro called PD that sets the paragraph distance in the
-man macros.  The default is 1v for nroff and .4v for troff.
If you want no blank space between paragraphs use:
	.PD 0

--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    or
                          EMU Project              {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}