[comp.unix.questions] Using ptx

rbl@cwruecmp.UUCP (Robin Lake) (05/23/87)

Mailing via portal.com would not reach Tony, so I'll post here:

In article <372@cup.portal.com> Tony Makonnen writes:
>lI need help or pointers for use of the ptx command on xenix sys V
>found on SCO text processing module .  I get a permuted index  but ca
>not tell what to do with it . can page references be inserted ? where can
>I find some more meaningful coverage of this utility. Thank you

ptx produces output in the form:

.xx "tail""before keyword""keyword and after""head"

where .xx may be an nroff macro for user defined formatting.  The "before
keyword" and "keyword and after" fields incorporate as much of the line
as will fit around the keyword, when it is printed in the middle of the page.
"Tail" and "head" at least one of which is an empty string "", are
wrapped around pieces small enough to fit in the unused space at the
opposite end of the line.  When original text must be discarded '/'
marks the spot.

For the ptx output file, the nroff .xx macro was defined as:

for the final output.  The final output, in our case, is published
as "A Keyword-in-context Index to Computers and Dentistry"  R. B. Lake
and M. Bhat.  Available from National Technical Information Service, Springfield
VA as PB83-186361.

There was also a brief note on this in the IEEE Engineering in Medicine
and Biology Magazine circa 1982.

Rob Lake
decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl