[comp.unix.questions] Wanted: Crash Dump Analysis Tips

marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) (05/22/87)

I'm not an 'adb' expert {yet}, but days like today make me wish that
I was.  We experienced a number of system crashes which took most of
the day to track down.  Has anyone compiled any information that would
help in looking through a crash dump?  A few years ago I attended a
TOPS-20 session at DECUS, where the speaker(s) had compiled a "cook-
book" for looking at TOPS-20 dumps, which was very helpful.  Something
like that would be nice, if it exists.  Is there any information that
details the possible causes of the various "panics:"?  Thanks in advance.

UUCP :	... ! ucdavis ! umt ! marsh
US Mail :	Paul Marsh,	University of Montana, Computer Center
	    			Missoula, MT	59812
phone :				(406) 243-5455

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (05/24/87)

In article <680@umt.UUCP> marsh@umt.UUCP (Paul Marsh) writes:
> [...]  Has anyone compiled any information that would
>help in looking through a crash dump?
> [...]  Is there any information that
>details the possible causes of the various "panics:"?  Thanks in advance.

Assuming you've loaded /usr/doc on to your system from the distribution and
uncompressed it, look in /usr/doc/kdebug, which contains a paper called
"Using ADB to Debug the Unix Kernel" (or words to that effect).  It has a
few helpful hints (probably the most useful is that doing *(scb-4)$c while
ADBing a crash dump will give you a stack traceback of what was running at
the time of the crash).  I don't think this paper is in the hardcopy document-
ation set for Ultrix, but I could be wrong.

A very few of the possible panics are detailed in the man page for crash(8).
However, that's just the tip of the iceberg - there are really more possible
panics that you'd want to think about.  If you've got a particular panic you're
curious about, the best thing to do is look around in the sources (assuming
you've got them) and find out where that panic is generated.

--Pat.