[comp.unix.questions] AT&T Catalogs

ingoldsby@calgary.UUCP (Terry Ingoldsby) (05/22/87)

This is probably a foolish question to those with more experience, but
does anyone know where I can get a catalog (AT&T or otherwise) describing
the various software products available for System V.  In particular I
am interested in getting a `C' Compiler (our vendor didn't sell it as part
of the package) and wants an arm and a leg for it.  I was wondering if
anyone else sold the same compiler.  The machine is an Intergraph
Interpro32C (Clipper) with System V.

                                  Terry Ingoldsby
                           ihnp4!alberta!calgary!ingoldsby

guy@gorodish.UUCP (05/25/87)

> This is probably a foolish question to those with more experience, but
> does anyone know where I can get a catalog (AT&T or otherwise) describing
> the various software products available for System V.

I suspect the ultimate answer may be "nowhere".  AT&T's "Computer
Software Catalog" won't do you a bit of good, since it is not a
catalog of software "available for System V", but a catalog of
software available for AT&T computers.  The only software that's
"available for System V" is that provided in source form.  Software
provided in binary form is only available for the machines that it
was compiled on, not for "System V" in general.

> In particular I am interested in getting a `C' Compiler (our vendor
> didn't sell it as part of the package) and wants an arm and a leg for it.
> I was wondering if anyone else sold the same compiler.

The best you could hope for when looking in a catalog of "System V
software" might be to find a cross-compiler for the Clipper, although
this wouldn't necessarily be the *same* compiler, and might not be
provided in the form of a compiler that *runs* on the Clipper.  (I
assume here that all UNIX ports to the Clipper can share binary
versions of software; if that's not true, that's an added
complication.)

It sounds like you'd be best off talking to Fairchild to see if 1)
there is one C compiler that Clipper ports use and 2) you can get
that compiler.
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com

ralph@ralmar.UUCP (05/26/87)

In article <19627@sun.uucp>, guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> > This is probably a foolish question to those with more experience, but
> > does anyone know where I can get a catalog (AT&T or otherwise) describing
> > the various software products available for System V.
>
> I suspect the ultimate answer may be "nowhere".  AT&T's "Computer
>
> > In particular I am interested in getting a `C' Compiler (our vendor
 (The original writer was looking for a compiler for the Clipper)

The "UNIX Products Directory" published by /usr/group does a respectable job
of listing UNIX software, hardware, services, etc.  A quick scan of the
indexes in the 1987 edition, however, does not reflect a commercially
available C compiler for the Clipper (at least to MY eyes |-) ).  Thus, on
THAT point, Guy's suggestion is still the "best buy" of the day.

--
Ralph Barker, RALMAR Business Systems, 640 So Winchester Blvd, San Jose,CA 95128
uucp: ...{ucbvax,hplabs}!sun!idi---\!ralmar!ralph