[comp.unix.questions] Suppressing SCO Xenix motd

jl42#@andrew.cmu.EDU (Jay Mathew Libove) (05/25/87)

Well, we have all sorts of neat ways posted now for suppressing a
standard BSD m.o.t.d., but I have a slightly different problem - my
Xenix (by the Santa Cruz Operation, SysV/286 v2.1.3 kernal running on
a PCs Limited AT) IGNORES .hushlogin ... and I do wish to keep the
motd file.

Anyone know a way around this?

Jay Libove
Arpa:   jl42@andrew.cmu.edu	Bitnet: jl42@drycas.bitnet
UUCP:   ...!{pitt | bellcore} !darth!libove!libove

Hey! I know who -you- are! You're another one of those crazy people who uses
SCO Xenix!

stu@jpusa1.UUCP (05/26/87)

Expires:

In article <7526@brl-adm.ARPA> jl42#@andrew.cmu.EDU (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
-Well, we have all sorts of neat ways posted now for suppressing a
-standard BSD m.o.t.d., but I have a slightly different problem - my
-Xenix (by the Santa Cruz Operation, SysV/286 v2.1.3 kernal running on
-a PCs Limited AT) IGNORES .hushlogin ... and I do wish to keep the
-motd file.
-
-Anyone know a way around this?
Don't use /etc/motd.  Put the motd in /etc/Motd and add the following in /etc/cshrc:
	if ( ! -f ~/.hushlogin ) cat -s /etc/Motd
or for /etc/profile:
	test ! -f $HOME/.hushlogin && cat -s /etc/Motd
This adds the feature(?) of being able to force people to see important info in /etc/motd.

Stu Heiss {gargoyle,ihnp4}!jpusa1!stu

paul@devon.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <7526@brl-adm.ARPA> jl42#@andrew.cmu.EDU (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
> Well, we have all sorts of neat ways posted now for suppressing a
> standard BSD m.o.t.d., but I have a slightly different problem - my
> Xenix (by the Santa Cruz Operation, SysV/286 v2.1.3 kernal running on
> a PCs Limited AT) IGNORES .hushlogin ... and I do wish to keep the
> motd file.
>
> Anyone know a way around this?

    Trouble is, Xenix's /etc/login is AT&T based, not BSD.  So it  doesn't
    know anything about a .hushlogin (strictly a Berkeleyism).

    But  you  could  try  this:   First,  rename  the  /etc/motd  file  to
    /etc/Motd.   The /etc/login program won't be looking for that name, so
    it won't display anything.  Then place some statements in /etc/profile
    (which  is  processed  by  every  /bin/sh  login  shell)  and  similar
    statements in /etc/cshrc (XENIX  only:  processed  by  every  /bin/csh
    login  shell)  to  type  the  contents  of  /etc/Motd  under  whatever
    circumstances you wish.

    It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine just exactly what
    statements should be added to /etc/profile or /etc/cshrc.

    I have directed followups to comp.unix.xenix.

-paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.		UUCP: paul@devon.UUCP
				      ...!seismo!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!paul

"No problem is so big that it can't be run away from." -- Charlie Brown