[comp.unix.questions] 2400 Baud Modems for only $189.00!?! Can this be true?

jdc@osupyr.UUCP (Jim D Corder) (05/28/87)

2400 Baud modems for only $189.00!?!  Can this be true?

Hi Net People:

     Has anyone out there heard of "desktalk" modems?  Are they any good?  Are
they  truly Hayes Compatible?  Do they work with the AT&T 3B2/300?  Has anyone
heard of the company "USA*FLEX" in Glendale Heights, IL?  Are they reputable?

                               Their add reads:

         "desktalk" Fully Hayes compatible, 2400 Baud external modem

100% Satisfaction Guarantee        *    Five year warranty
We are offering our first "30      *    Auto-dial/Auto-answer
day" money back guarantee."        *    HELP screen
If you're not satisfied with       *    2400/1200/300 BPS
this modem in 30 days              *    With communication software
we'll refund your purchase price!
No questions asked.                $189.00

                                 SATISFACTION
                                  GUARANTEED

                  (I THINK THE SOFTWARE IS FOR THE IBM PC??)

     I have wanted a 2400 Baud modem for some time.  However, I would need two
and  the  price  tends to limit my choices.  If I where to purchases two Hayes
2400  Baud  modems  the  cost  would be over $1,000.00.  Two of these desktalk
modems,  shipping and handling  is still under $400.00, less than price of one
Hayes.    But,  if  the  desktalk  is a piece of junk then it is not worth the
savings!!!

     I  would  deeply  appreciate any information that  you might have on this
company and/or the desktalk modem. I am a bit afraid to purchase by mail order
(when one has to pay in advance). I understand that MOST mail order houses are
legitimate, however...  Again, thank you for your help!

   _______
   |     |			James D. Corder
   |UNIX!|			P.O. Box 27473
  ---------			Columbus, Ohio 43227
   \~. .~/
   (  *  )			...cbosgd!osupyr!Alix!corder
----| O |----
    \ v /
      V                         Your comments may someday become part of a book!

lm@cottage.WISC.EDU (Larry McVoy) (05/29/87)

In article <335@osupyr.UUCP> jdc@osupyr.UUCP (Jim D Corder) writes:
>2400 Baud modems for only $189.00!?!  Can this be true?
>
>     Has anyone out there heard of "desktalk" modems?  Are they any good?  Are

I thought this might be of general interest, so no flames ok?  I got this from
comp.dcom.modems, and that's where follups will go.

Larry McVoy 	        lm@cottage.wisc.edu  or  uwvax!mcvoy