[comp.unix.questions] Unix Public Access Systems

netnews@cu-den.UUCP (Usenet News) (05/15/87)

I have seem alot of these Unix Public Access Systems around, I would
like to know if, 1) there is a specific organization to this and 2) Is there
any type of "control" over these systems?

Specifically, can a Unix "public" Access System charge users to access their
system?

Thank You

--
Robert M. Sklar -- News Administrator  @  CU-Denver
UUCP: {whatever}!boulder!cu-den!netnews

bob@rel.UUCP (05/17/87)

In article <503@cu-den.UUCP>, netnews@cu-den.UUCP writes:

> I have seem alot of these Unix Public Access Systems around, I would
> like to know if, 1) there is a specific organization to this and 2) Is there
> any type of "control" over these systems?
>
> Specifically, can a Unix "public" Access System charge users to access their
> system?

1> There is no formal organization that I am aware of it's existance.  Most
   public access systems are privately owned and are generally co-located
   in the sysadmin's home.

2> There is no more control over these systems than there is over your own
   system.  I'm curious as to why you ask this question.

3> I don't see any reason why a public access systems can't charge it's
   users.  The operators should be able to recover their operating expenses.

--
Bob Leffler  -  Electronic Data Systems, GM Truck & Bus Account
bob@rel.EDS.COM  or  cbosgd!edstb!rel!bob

korn@altger.UUCP (05/25/87)

is there a chance to get a list of those systems?

add the following system to your list:

Nodename: altger
Company:  Altos Munich
Model:    Altos 3068
Cpu:      68020
System:   Unix-V.2
X.25:     0262 45 8900 40004
Login:    guest

Hans Korneder     UUCP:      somwhere!mcvax!unido!altger!korn
                  SNAILMAIL: Gebsattelstr. 32, D-8000 Muenchen 90
                  VOICE:     +49 89 4488373
----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----
                                      +-------------------------------------+
The opinions above are my own.        | Advertising space for rent !        |
They can be yours too !!              | Send requests to the adress above ! |
Send $57.95 to the adress above.      +-------------------------------------+
(Offer void where prohibited by law or good taste)

henry@garp.UUCP (05/30/87)

I tried to compile a list of "public-access" systems on the Usenet
last year with no success.  I got responses from some folks but had
trouble verifying the login procedures in many cases.  In all cases,
it ended up being expensive (no, I don't have PC-Pursuit).

#
# Henry Mensch / <henry@garp.mit.edu> / E40-358C MIT, Cambridge, MA
#          {ames,cca,rochester,mit-eddie}!garp!henry