[comp.unix.questions] Menu software info wanted

grich@orion.UCI.EDU (John Mangrich) (05/27/87)

I'd like to know about software running under Unix to implement a generalized
Menu system.  We think it would be handy to help beginning users and to use
to implement canned systems.  Pointers to shared free software or to
commercial software would be greatly appreciated.

   Thanks.

     John Mangrich
     University of California, Irvine
     grich@ics.uci.edu
     ...!ucbvax!ucivax!orion!grich

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (05/27/87)

I've had some experience with a package from the University of San Francisco
by Tony Wasserman.  It implements a finite-state-machine compiler with
interfaces available for your own C routines to hang off the transitions.
It's been several years, so I am unsure of the name of the package; perhaps
someone whose memory is better could provide the name?  "TROLL" seems to
come to mind...  As menu interfaces go, it was OK.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

sid@rtech.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <87@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I've had some experience with a package from the University of San Francisco
>by Tony Wasserman.  It implements a finite-state-machine compiler with
>interfaces available for your own C routines to hang off the transitions.
>It's been several years, so I am unsure of the name of the package; perhaps
>someone whose memory is better could provide the name?  "TROLL" seems to
>come to mind...  As menu interfaces go, it was OK.

TROLL is part of the "User Software Engineering", aka USE, aka Rapid/Troll
package available from UCB.
--
Sid Shapiro -- Relational Technology, Inc
	{mtxinu,cpsc6a}!rtech!sid

sechrest@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU (05/30/87)

Here at Oregon State University, I have had a couple of students working
on a generic menu driver. It is designed as a way to tie regular
unix programs together in a menu. We have new user request form that
is generated by the newuser program which will allow the super user
to add an account from the menu. I use the program on my home machine
as the basis of a limited access login to my machine.

It is basically an interperator. It takes a file of screens and
places them on the screen. It has a limited notion of variables
which you can alter interactivly.

An Example screen:

		Title of the page that we are working on
		This can be two lines and is centered on the menu

	--> 1)	First Line of menu
	    2)  Second: set variable
	    3)  execute a command with a variable
	    4)  interactively get a variable value
	    5)	go to another file and screen number

The cursor keys j and k move the selector. space + -
and cr also move the cursor. help pops up on bad commands.

Here is the text that generated the screen.

% Screens are seperated by percent signs

Title of the page that we are working on
This can be two lines and is centered on the menu.

<First line of menu>!who
<Second: set variable>$files=*.c
<execute a command with a variable>!ls $files
<interactivly get a variable value>$files
<Go to another file and screen number 2>:screen.2:2:1

% end of screen

If this is of any interest, please send me a note. We have been working
to clean up some bugs and to expand the notion of variable (add scopes)
but it has sat for a term or two now.

					John Sechrest
					Lab Coordinator
					Oregon State University