[comp.unix.questions] Ultrix FORTRAN <-> C calls

jjo@calmasd.UUCP (06/06/87)

Can anyone tell me how to call C functions from FORTRAN and vice-versa
using VAX FORTRAN/Ultrix (i.e. fort, as opposed to f77) under Ultrix 1.2.
The documentation I have doesn't seem to include any information about this.

The problem is that FORTRAN entry points and external references are
all uppercase in the object file, while C entry points and external
references are all lowercase (with a preceding underscore), so you end up
with numerous unresolved references at link time (using lk, rather than
ld).

Is it possible that Ultrix 2.0 is required to make interlanguage calls
work?

			- Jay Olson
			...sdcsvax!calmasd!jjo
			jjo@calmasd.GE.COM

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <2274@calmasd.GE.COM>, jjo@calmasd.GE.COM (Jay Olson) writes:
> Can anyone tell me how to call C functions from FORTRAN and vice-versa
> using VAX FORTRAN/Ultrix (i.e. fort, as opposed to f77) under Ultrix 1.2.
> The documentation I have doesn't seem to include any information about this.

  DEC provides you with the woderful :-) invention known as the "Jacket Build-
  ing Language", which you use to write jacket routines that stand between
  VAX Fortran/Ultrix routines and anything else (C, f77, etc).  Outlined in
  Section 7 of the User Manual.....

     greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny