[comp.unix.questions] Help with Sys V uucp

richmon@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (06/07/87)

I'm running Sys V.2 on an AT&T Unix PC and having trouble with
uucp. I requested a file from a remote computer (named 'shop'),
but when uucp fires up to call the remote machine on the modem, I
get the following error message in /usr/spool/uucp LOGFILE:

shop!uucp (6/6-17:58:13) (C,732,0) FAILED (DIALUP LINE dialling  P 6)
shop!uucp (6/6-17:58:13) (C,732,0) FAILED (call to shop )

I can't figure out what's wrong.  In my ever-more-frantic attempts
to get uucp to succeed, I tried
  a. deleting all the lock files for the modem (LCK..ph1 and LCK..ph0)
     and then (when still no luck) creating some
  b. deleting all files of name LTMP.42, LTMP.43
     and then (when no good) creating some

Sometimes, I got error messages like this, too, in LOGFILE:

shop!uucp (6/6-12:36:16) (C,380,0) FAILED (DIALUP LINE dialling  P 6)
shop!uucp (6/6-12:36:16) (C,380,0) FAILED (call to shop )

Can anyone give me some ideas?  I've had uucp working in the past, but this
is the first time in a few months I've given it a job and there have been
several system crashes in the interim :-(  Perhaps I lost something..

Thanks in advance.

                             "This is the heart that broke my finger."

Michael Richmond           ..ucbvax!violet!richmon   or    richmon@UCBCMSA

jack@swlabs.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <3874@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, richmon@violet.berkeley.edu (Michael Richmond) writes:
> I'm running Sys V.2 on an AT&T Unix PC and having trouble with
> uucp.

Apparently, there are some bugs in the new release of Microport.  The new
version of getty has trouble with 8 bit transfers (specifically, sane
now sets CS7).  To see if this is the case, manually do a uucico with debug
level set to 5 (-x5) if you are originating the call.  If the other end is,
have them do the uucico -x5 -s<system>.  This will display all the data on
the screen that is transferred in either direction.  In the case that I'm
familiar with, the login prompt was fine, but 7 bit even parity was set
before the password prompt was sent.  The fix in our case (until Microport
comes across), is that the Microport system will be doing the polling.  The
problem only showed up on termination, when the broken getty got in the way.
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
seismo!uunet!swlabs!jack

usenet@peaks.UUCP (Usenet administrator) (06/08/87)

In article <3874@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, richmon@violet.berkeley.edu (Michael Richmond) writes:
> I'm running Sys V.2 on an AT&T Unix PC and having trouble with
> uucp. I requested a file from a remote computer (named 'shop'),
> but when uucp fires up to call the remote machine on the modem, I
> get the following error message in /usr/spool/uucp LOGFILE:
>
> shop!uucp (6/6-17:58:13) (C,732,0) FAILED (DIALUP LINE dialling  P 6)
> shop!uucp (6/6-17:58:13) (C,732,0) FAILED (call to shop )
>
> [ stuff tried ]
>
> Sometimes, I got error messages like this, too, in LOGFILE:
>
> shop!uucp (6/6-12:36:16) (C,380,0) FAILED (DIALUP LINE dialling  P 6)
> shop!uucp (6/6-12:36:16) (C,380,0) FAILED (call to shop )
>
> [ request for help ]

	The information following the 'P' in both first lines above
	should be the phone number - it looks like it's picking up
	the line and dialing '6', then waiting for connect. Try
	using the office window "Mail Setup" inside the "Administration"
	object to modify the phone number your system is calling. Select
	"Electronic Mail Names of other systems", highlight the entry
	for "shop" and hit the "EDIT" screen key. The Unix PC owners'
	manual covers setting up the PC to exchange mail on pps 4-31
	through 4-46.

	Alternatively, of course, you could log in as root, and use
	vi to edit the /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys file, where the phone
	number is kept.

	One place to find format information on this
	file is the "UNIX Programmers Manual", vol 2, published
	by Holt, Rinehart & Winston and Bell Laboratories. This manual
	covers the seventh edition of Unix, but is applicable to
	Unix-PC UUCP (Versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5). The sections
	"A Dial-Up Network of UNIX(tm) Systems", and "Uucp Implementation
	Description", starting on page 569 are the ones you want.

		Have fun :-) ,
		Bruce
		as ...!hao!boulder!peaks!usenoy

jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (06/09/87)

In article <238@swlabs.UUCP> jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) writes:
>In article <3874@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, richmon@violet.berkeley.edu (Michael Richmond) writes:
>> I'm running Sys V.2 on an AT&T Unix PC and having trouble with uucp.

>Apparently, there are some bugs in the new release of Microport.

While I'm not casting aspersions on the validity of your statement,
Microport, AT&T and Convergent Technologies would all be most surprised
if it was at all relevant. My mail to this unfortunate user commented
that it sounded to me like he was genuinely failing to get through to
the target system. I (basically) suggested that he check the phone
number, whether he needs 9=1 in front and so forth.
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

An Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.