[comp.unix.questions] bsd binary licenses?

trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/08/87)

I feel kind of silly asking this, but is it true that
there is such a thing as licensing for BSD unix that is
binary-only?  I was under the impression that you could only
get source-licensed BSD unix.  What's the scoop?

						Jon
--
Sometimes a fish needs a bicycle...

dce@mips.UUCP (David Elliott) (06/09/87)

In article <12523@topaz.rutgers.edu> trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) writes:

>I feel kind of silly asking this, but is it true that
>there is such a thing as licensing for BSD unix that is
>binary-only?  I was under the impression that you could only
>get source-licensed BSD unix.  What's the scoop?

That depends on what you mean by the term "BSD unix"[sic].

Tektronix sells UTek, which is a version of Unix based on 4.2BSD
with 4.3BSD, System V, and other enhancements. As of September 1985,
this system was available only in binary form (no source release
has been made available to date, as far as I know).

MIPS sells UMIPS-BSD, which is based on 4.3BSD, as a binary-only
system. Sources are also available, but you have to go through other
parties to obtain the System V and 4.3BSD source licenses. (We also
have a System V.3.0-based system called UMIPS-V which works similarly).

Sun's system (SunOS?) and DEC's Ultrix are also generally obtained
as binary systems.
--
David Elliott		{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!dce
"With an a) like that, you've got a lot of nerve asking for a b)!"-P. Schaeffer

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (06/14/87)

In article <12523@topaz.rutgers.edu> trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) writes:
>I feel kind of silly asking this, but is it true that
>there is such a thing as licensing for BSD unix that is
>binary-only?  I was under the impression that you could only
>get source-licensed BSD unix.  What's the scoop?

The only way to legally obtain 4BSD in binary form without having source
license(s) is from some vendor who has a sublicensing agreement with AT&T.