[comp.unix.questions] More Problems with Sys V uucp

richmon@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (06/14/87)

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my earlier uucp problems -
I managed to get through to the system I was calling at last.
Now, however, as soon as the connection is made, something goes
wrong, as shown by the following uucico output:

(...machine dials, phone rings, other computer answers and whines....)
	login called
	wanted "" got that
	ASSERT ERROR (uucico)  pid: 1386  (6/13-14:33:58)  BAD WRITE2  (0)

Actually, the last three characters "(0)" seem to get slapped down on top of
the word ASSERT at the beginning of the line, if that's important.

So, my guess is that there is a problem when my system tries to start
writing something (a log file? the file I'm trying to receive?) and doesn't
have permission? Well, probably not, since I've run the job as root and the
same error message still appears. Can anyone help me out with this? Thank
you very much, in advance.

                             "This is the heart that broke my finger."

Michael Richmond           ..ucbvax!violet!richmon   or    richmon@UCBCMSA

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (06/18/87)

In article <3950@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, richmon@violet.berkeley.edu (Michael Richmond) writes:
> Thanks to everyone who helped me with my earlier uucp problems -
> I managed to get through to the system I was calling at last.
> Now, however, as soon as the connection is made, something goes
> wrong, as shown by the following uucico output:
>
> (...machine dials, phone rings, other computer answers and whines....)
> 	login called
> 	wanted "" got that
> 	ASSERT ERROR (uucico)  pid: 1386  (6/13-14:33:58)  BAD WRITE2  (0)
>
> So, my guess is that there is a problem when my system tries to start
> writing something (a log file? the file I'm trying to receive?) and doesn't
> have permission? Well, probably not, since I've run the job as root and the
> same error message still appears. Can anyone help me out with this? Thank
> you very much, in advance.

This sounds like the system you are calling has either a lock file
or a system status file in its uucp spool directory.  Before you
start the call, make sure these files do not exist on the target
machine.  The files will probably have the name
/usr/spool/uucp/LCK..SYSNAME
or
/usr/spool/uucp/STST.SYSNAME

where SYSNAME is the name of your computer.

  Evan Bauman
  ..!seismo!iuvax!ndmath!ndcheg!evan