[comp.unix.questions] ftp - netin: network is unreachable

michaud@decvax.UUCP (06/18/87)

	I have have been trying to "get" the GNU-C compressed archive
	from mit-prep, and have not been successful yet (I have tried
	at least five times, and had at least 2/3's at one time).

	What happens is that it goes along happily for a while, then
	all of a sudden will print the error:

		netin: Network is Unreachable

	The first time I just thought that some host went down
	between here and there.  The second time it did it,
	I immediately tried to connect again, and it was there
	and reachable.

	A couple of other times I have had it hang in the middle
	of a transfer, doing a "netstat" says everything is fine
	(both links - main, and the one for the transfer).

	I really give up, what is going on here?

			Jeff Michaud
			michaud@decvax.dec.com
			michaud@decvax.UUCP
			...!{decwrl,ucbvax,...}!decvax!michaud

	ps: I'm running under Ultrix
-----------------
	I only represent myself in this posting, me and only
	me, mumble jumble

woods@hao.UUCP (06/18/87)

In article <98@decvax.UUCP> michaud@decvax.UUCP (Jeff Michaud) writes:

>	I have have been trying to "get" the GNU-C compressed archive
>	from mit-prep, and have not been successful yet

  Me too. I have been able to FTP things successfully from other MIT sites,
and other non-MIT sites. Either prep is hopelessly overloaded (a likely
possibility) to the point where no one can really FTP anything from them,
or there is a problem on the MIT local network. Try it at 3 o'clock in the
morning and see what happens.

--Greg
--
UUCP: {hplabs, seismo, nbires, noao}!hao!woods
CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

mohamed@hscfvax.UUCP (750025@Mohamed_el_Lozy) (06/18/87)

In article <737@hao.UCAR.EDU> woods@hao.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <98@decvax.UUCP> michaud@decvax.UUCP (Jeff Michaud) writes:
>>
>>	I have have been trying to "get" the GNU-C compressed archive
>>	from mit-prep, and have not been successful yet

Either prep is hopelessly overloaded (a likely
>possibility) to the point where no one can really FTP anything from them,
>or there is a problem on the MIT local network.
I dont think prep is overloaded to the point of being unusable.  Last Saturday
I had no difficulty getting the compressed gnuemcs distrib (3.5Meg) at
a normal time (mid-morning).  Never tried it on weekdays, though.

barry@mind.UUCP (Barry Lustig) (06/19/87)

In article <737@hao.UCAR.EDU> woods@hao.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) writes:

>  Me too. I have been able to FTP things successfully from other MIT sites,
>and other non-MIT sites. Either prep is hopelessly overloaded (a likely
>possibility) to the point where no one can really FTP anything from them,
>or there is a problem on the MIT local network. Try it at 3 o'clock in the
>morning and see what happens.

Greg,
	If I remember correctly UCAR is on the NSF net.  If so, the
reason that you don't have problems ftping to certain MIT sites is
because they are also on the NSF net.  The mit-ai machines don't seem
to throw packets at the MIT NSF gateway, even though they could.
This causes packets to take the long route to you.

Barry Lustig
Cognitive Science Lab, Princeton University
barry@mind.princeton.edu