[comp.unix.questions] C Preprocessor for Variable Names

jgd@pollux.UUCP (Dr. James George Dunham) (06/23/87)

     We have a Convergent Technology MiniFrame running S5R2 and have run
into a problem with the C compiler. Apparently it will only accept variable
names of 8 characters or less. Does anyone have a C preprocessor that will
map arbitrary length variable names into 8 character names, or any other
possible solutions to the problem?

  ****    ** **    *    *    James George Dunham
 *       *  *  *   *    *    Department of Electrical Engineering
  ***    *  *  *   *    *    Southern Methodist University
     *   *     *   *    *    Dallas, Texas  75275
 ****    *     *    ****     (214)-692-2812

UUCP: {seismo, cbosgd, ihnp4, sun!convex, allegra!convex}!ndmce!pollux!jgd
CSNET: pollux!jgd@smu

In article <315@pollux.UUCP> jgd@pollux.UUCP (Dr. James George Dunham) writes:
>     We have a Convergent Technology MiniFrame running S5R2 and have run
>into a problem with the C compiler. Apparently it will only accept variable
>names of 8 characters or less. Does anyone have a C preprocessor that will
>map arbitrary length variable names into 8 character names, or any other
>possible solutions to the problem?

First, you should beat on Convergent, since real SVR2 had flexnames.

It's not hard to modify cpp to support long names (the one I shipped
as part of the BRL UNIX System V Release 1.0 emulation for 4.2BSD
was so modified), but you need the source, and it will only help map
symbols that you introduce explicit #defines for.  You might be better
off making the necessary changes with a good text editor.