[comp.unix.questions] Dump and Cpio for backups

jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) (06/16/87)

We recently had to backup a file system over Ethernet using cpio and when
dump(1)ing the system today, dump wanted to backup everything.  I realize
that this is because I told cpio to reset the access times on the files
after saving them.  Now for the questions.

	1). Has anyone got a PD dump that is compatible with the old dump?
		- I like dump for a variety of reasons.  I _don't_ want to
		switch to cpio or tar or dasflkjsd.

	2). Has anyone got a PD cpio that knows how to read physical disks
		and thus not change any of the times in the inode?
		- I might use a program like this if I had the source or
		it understood all about multi-volume archives.  (Read as:
		didn't ask for the name again)

	3). Has anyone done anything remotely like any of this?

I know this is coming on the back of alot of chatter about backups, but
my poor operator is having a rough time.  She needs your help :-) ...

- John.		(jfh@killer.UUCP)

Disclaimer:
	No disclaimer.  Whatcha gonna do, sue me?

john@xanth.UUCP (John Owens) (06/24/87)

In article <1007@killer.UUCP>, jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) writes:
> We recently had to backup a file system over Ethernet using cpio and when
> dump(1)ing the system today, dump wanted to backup everything.  I realize
> that this is because I told cpio to reset the access times on the files
> after saving them.  Now for the questions.
> 	2). Has anyone got a PD cpio that knows how to read physical disks
> 		and thus not change any of the times in the inode?

If you umount the filesystem and remount it -r (read-only), the access
times will not be updated.

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

haral@unisol.UUCP (Haral Tsitsivas) (06/25/87)

In article <1007@killer.UUCP>  jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) writes:
>We recently had to backup a file system over Ethernet using cpio and when
>dump(1)ing the system today, dump wanted to backup everything.  I realize
>that this is because I told cpio to reset the access times on the files
>after saving them.  Now for the questions.

Ahemm....  There is no dump(1) but there is a dump(8).  Actually, there is a
dump(1) under System V but the manual entry says "dump selected parts of an
object file" which does not seem to backup a filesystem.  Dump(8) does not
look at your last access time... It looks at the last modification time and
the date of your last backup as defined in the file /etc/dumpdates.  From
the manual again: "Dump copies to magnetic tape all files changed after a
certain date in the filesystem".  "Files changed" does not refer to access
times.  If you want to reset dump's idea of the last backup time (presumably
to the time of a backup done with cpio) edit the file /etc/dumpdates by hand
and modify the last dump date.

--Haral Tsitsivas
  UniSolutions Associates
  ...!seismo!scgvaxd!ashtate!unisol!haral