[comp.unix.questions] Serial Port problems with microPort System V/286 2.2U

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (05/26/87)

Apologies to microport, because we have sent them a fax already, but we
are in a rush for a fix.....

With Microport's Unix System V (release 2.2U) running on a genuine IBM PC
AT, select a free port on the com1 board and spawn a getty process on
it.  Connect a 9600 baud terminal to the  port.  "cat" a large file to
the port.  Output to the terminal will hang after a random amount of
data has been transmitted.  This phenomena can also be observed when
scrolling through a file using vi.  Tping any character causes output to
resume.

Is anyone else having this same problem?  And, more importantly, does
anyone  have a fix??  We have the linkkit.

Please respond using EMail or Call collect
(613) 725-5411

Thanks in advance.
--
Greg Franks     (613) 725-5411          "Vermont ain't flat"
{net-land}!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!greg

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (05/28/87)

In article <307@xios.XIOS.UUCP> greg@xios.UUCP (I) write:
>With Microport's Unix System V (release 2.2U) running on a genuine IBM PC
>AT, select a free port on the com1 board and spawn a getty process on
>it.  Connect a 9600 baud terminal to the  port.  "cat" a large file to
>the port.  Output to the terminal will hang after a random amount of
>data has been transmitted.  This phenomena can also be observed when
>scrolling through a file using vi.  Typing any character causes output to
>resume.

Well - we just got some new IBM PC AT's from whereever, with genuine
comm boards, and the problem magically went away.  Never trust a
rental...

  :-(

  :-(

  :-(

  :-(

*** sigh ***

--
Greg Franks     (613) 725-5411          "Vermont ain't flat"
{net-land}!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!greg
(Other paths will undoubtably work too - your mileage will vary)

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (06/01/87)

One of the people here has the same problem (more or less). When
running UUCP at 9600 baud to a VAX, he frequently gets a "double panic"
and tss dies. It powerdown time then.

By the way... 2.2U??? We just got 2.2L and were told that it was the
latest version. Then again that was a week ago.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (06/10/87)

In article <6102@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>One of the people here has the same problem (more or less). When
>running UUCP at 9600 baud to a VAX, he frequently gets a "double panic"
>and tss dies. It powerdown time then.
>
>By the way... 2.2U??? We just got 2.2L and were told that it was the
>latest version. Then again that was a week ago.
>--
>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

The 'U' refers to the unlimited license for serial drivers. The 'L' refers
to a limitation on the number of installable serial drivers.

The problem with the serial port at 9600 baud is strange. 'qiclab' was busy
running...er..msdos (ok I said it) for a week, and I was ~150 cmds
behind from my news feed. I got permission to cart my '386 down to the VAX
room, and proceeded to get over 6 megs of news and mail in the next couple
hours. No 'double panics' or anything. Under what conditions were your
9600 baud problems occurring? It would be nice to get these double panic
causes nailed down. Thanks in advance.
--
Steven C. Neighorn                tektronix!{psu-cs,reed}!qiclab!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the

dave@micropen.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <479@qiclab.UUCP>, neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steven C. Neighorn) writes:
> In article <6102@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> >
> >One of the people here has the same problem (more or less). When
> >running UUCP at 9600 baud to a VAX, he frequently gets a "double panic"
> >and tss dies. It powerdown time then.

I have been hammering at Microport for *months* about the problems with the
serial port handling.  In particular, cu and other programs that use serial
ports when uucp is going on (even at 1200 baud) will fail--lose characters
and even double (spuriously) characters.  For the longest time Microport
said "not our fault."  After presenting much unequivocable evidence to them
it boils down to this:

IBM PC interrupts are faulty--it is possible to "lose" interrupts.  But that
does not explain everything.  The "real" answer is that Microport has a large
interrupt latency and does not use any hardware flow control.  That is, once
the 8250 receive register is full, the cts should inhibit the transmission
of the next character.  It doesn't.  The next character comes and overwrites
the preceding character (overrun error).  Some devices, like terminals, which
process data quickly, can deal with no flow control.  Programs like cu that
are connected between two Microport beasts that involve lots of characters
will almost for certain fail if any other serial interrupt activity is going
on.  My real killer case is a digitizer that sends a position as 10 characters
at 9600 baud.  Microport can only recieve about 5 of them correctly and even
then most are garbled.  In order to make this digitizer work I need to reduce
the baud all the way down to 1200 and not have any other serial port activity
going on.  This is to slow to be useful as a digitizer in the manner it is
intended to be used.

Now the TSS and the double error panics are detection that the kernal stack
has overflowed its segment.  (As an aside, 64k segments are toughest on
global resources, like kernal stack.  I have been using this system under
these constraints for several months and am extremely careful with my device
drivers not to have automatic variables.  Our friends at Microsoft *will*
release a '286 OS called OS/2.  The real Achilles Heal of the '286
architecture is this kernal stack limitation.  Per user space has seldom
been a problem--kernal space crashes this system at least once a month.
Does anyone know of Microsoft's handling of this or do they ignore the
problem?)  The TSS fault is caused by kernal stack recursion at the interrupt
level and *should* be due to improper spl() in the interrupt section of the
tty driver.  Of course, Microport claims there is no bug but how does one
get tty interrupt kernal stack recursion if the spl() is set such that
tty interrupts are blocked while in the driver?  There is a bug in spl()
call in the tty driver -- very little doubt about it.

Microport had better listen to this one:  I cannot sell a program to run
on a machine that is so fragile that a single tty or digitizer running at
9600 baud will crash the system no matter how attractive it is to have
real SYS V UNIX(tm--ATT) as the OS.  The fact that it took me 6 months of
almost daily calls and bitching to get them to even admit there was a
problem tells me a great deal about Microport.  (Although in all fairness
Microport has generally been an exceptionally good vendor to deal with--
technical service is top of the line in most cases.)  It has been almost
two months now of almost daily calls to get the serial port driver code
(I am a licensed developer of Microport) in order to identify and fix these
bugs and omissions.  Every time I get the feeling that I'm getting the run
around, I think about finding a more suitable *commercial* OS (like
perhaps XENIX systemV) that has amenities like the ability to do backups
on anything other than floppy disks.  ("Oh yes, the streaming tape driver
will be ready *any* day now" -- Microport 8/'86, 9/'86, 10/'86, 11/'86,
12/'86, 1/'87, 2/'87, 3/'87, 4/'87, 5/'87, 6/'87, ... )  My confidence is
waning gentlemen.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{seismo}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (06/19/87)

In article <354@micropen> dave@micropen.UUCP writes:
>"Oh yes, the streaming tape driver
>will be ready *any* day now" -- Microport 8/'86, 9/'86, 10/'86, 11/'86,
>12/'86, 1/'87, 2/'87, 3/'87, 4/'87, 5/'87, 6/'87, ...

Bell Technologies puts out a very nice QIC tape unit for the PC.  The
controller takes a full slot.  The drive itself fits in a disk bay.  You
can also get outboard QIC drives.

They supply drivers for both Microport System V and XENIX (SCO - perhaps
others as well).  Bell Technologies also has a super deluxe streaming
version of tar which makes tapes quite quickly (at least compared to the
stock version of tar on microport).

We are merrily 'tar'ing files twixt the PC's that we have and CT
mitiframes (68020's) with no problems what-so-ever.

For Microport, you will require the link kit.  Installation is painless.

Their address is...

Bell Technologies Incorporated
44846 Osgood Road
Freemont, California.

                            ** disclaimer **
I am a happy customer.  These opinions are my own.  Blah blah blah.

--

philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) (06/20/87)

In article <6102@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

> By the way... 2.2U??? We just got 2.2L and were told that it was the
> latest version. Then again that was a week ago.

The U and L suffixes relate to the number of users:

	L - Limited (to two users)
	U - Unlimited
!#C!#C!4

rcw@qetzal.UUCP (sysop) (06/25/87)

In article <318@xios.XIOS.UUCP>, greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
| In article <354@micropen> dave@micropen.UUCP writes:
| >"Oh yes, the streaming tape driver
| >will be ready *any* day now" -- Microport 8/'86, 9/'86, 10/'86, 11/'86,
| >12/'86, 1/'87, 2/'87, 3/'87, 4/'87, 5/'87, 6/'87, ...
|
| Bell Technologies puts out a very nice QIC tape unit for the PC.  The
| controller takes a full slot.  [...] You
| can also get outboard QIC drives.

This is all very well and good, but why does it cost $2500? If
Microport and Bell Technologies have a business relationship, why
would Microport kill that by supporting inexpensive tape drives?

Robert C. White, Jr. Graphics Information, Inc.   ****************
UUCP: ihnp4!upba!qetzal!rcw isis!qetzal!rcw       * OIL/GAS/LAND *
USPS: 3067 Robin Way, Denver, CO 80222            *  CARTOGRAPHY *
ATT : +1 303 759-3666                             ****************

aryeh@eddie.MIT.EDU (Aryeh M. Weiss) (06/26/87)

In article <149@qetzal.UUCP> rcw@qetzal.UUCP (sysop) writes:
>In article <318@xios.XIOS.UUCP>, greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
>| In article <354@micropen> dave@micropen.UUCP writes:
>|
>| Bell Technologies puts out a very nice QIC tape unit for the PC.  The
>| controller takes a full slot.  [...] You
>| can also get outboard QIC drives.
>|

>This is all very well and good, but why does it cost $2500? If
>Microport and Bell Technologies have a business relationship, why
>would Microport kill that by supporting inexpensive tape drives?

Microport now has (at least at beta stage) drivers for the QIC-02
controller (eg Everex Excell). If we get them and they work I will
post it. They plan to charge a nominal update fee, so you will  have
backup for about $900 (less if you get a QIC-36 Archeive drive).

I heard that Bell Tech. doctors a ROM on the controller so that their
driver only works with the controllers that THEY sell. Buyer beware...

--
aryeh@eddie.mit.edu
mit-eddie!lees-rif!aryeh

chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) (06/26/87)

> In article <149@qetzal.UUCP> rcw@qetzal.UUCP (sysop) writes:
> >In article <318@xios.XIOS.UUCP>, greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
> >| In article <354@micropen> dave@micropen.UUCP writes:
> >|
> >| Bell Technologies puts out a very nice QIC tape unit for the PC.  The
> >| controller takes a full slot.  [...] You
> >| can also get outboard QIC drives.
> >|

> >This is all very well and good, but why does it cost $2500? If
> >Microport and Bell Technologies have a business relationship, why
> >would Microport kill that by supporting inexpensive tape drives?
> >
> Microport now has (at least at beta stage) drivers for the QIC-02
> controller (eg Everex Excell). If we get them and they work I will
> post it. They plan to charge a nominal update fee, so you will  have
> backup for about $900 (less if you get a QIC-36 Archeive drive).

Does anyone know which of the popular tape units have a full AT
interface? I took a look at an Archive unit the other day but it
is a PC interface card so you only get dma to the 1st mb of memory
which as far as I can tell means your driver will have to set up
buffers in low memory then copy the data from the existing buffer(s)
before initiating the transfer.  Aside from being messy it seems like
the extra overhead will make it less likely that you will be able to
keep the drive streaming.

Does the (Archive) QIC-36 above refer to the tape format (or something else)
or is it an alternative to the QIC-02 interface?

Is the Everex Excell the same as the Everex stream60 drives I see
advertised in magazines for about $700?

I have called Microport to see just which drives they plan to support
but all they could tell me were that they were Everex and Archive drives
- I wanted model numbers so I could get one now and know that it would
be compatible with whatever driver they eventually release.  Why do I
want one before they release a driver?  Because it could be a long time
before they do release it - I would rather spend my time trying to write
my own driver than backing up 100mb of disk to floppies.  At worst I
would have to wait until they can make doscp write to the hard disk
properly and then I will just use a 20 mb dos partition and do

tar files to be backed up | doscat ; boot dos ; backup file; reboot unix

ugly but still better than floppies.

Any help would be appreciated.
john

...{seismo,watmath,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!fornax!bby-bc!john

{watmath,seismo,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!fornax!sfulccr!chapman
                   or  ...!ubc-vision!sfucmpt!chapman

jl@fornax.uucp (JL) (06/28/87)

     We are using a Kennedy 60 MByte cartridge-system 'Superkit'
from Semad Computer Products on an AT.  It does not have a 'full AT'
interface, but it can back up 20 MBytes (all that we currently have
on the hard disk) in about 3 or 4 minutes in an 'Image' type
backup.  The drive keeps streaming all the time.  The cost was
somewhere near $1000.00 (Canadian) in February 1987.  It comes
with an excellent menu-driven backup/restore program.  It is an
internal unit.

--
Jay-El

ron@vsedev.UUCP (06/29/87)

In article <149@qetzal.UUCP> rcw@qetzal.UUCP (sysop) writes:
+-----
|In article <318@xios.XIOS.UUCP>, greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
|| In article <354@micropen> dave@micropen.UUCP writes:
|| >"Oh yes, the streaming tape driver
|| >will be ready *any* day now" -- Microport 8/'86, 9/'86, 10/'86, 11/'86,
|| >12/'86, 1/'87, 2/'87, 3/'87, 4/'87, 5/'87, 6/'87, ...
|| Bell Technologies puts out a very nice QIC tape unit for the PC.  The
|| controller takes a full slot.  [...] You
|| can also get outboard QIC drives.
|
|This is all very well and good, but why does it cost $2500? If
|Microport and Bell Technologies have a business relationship, why
|would Microport kill that by supporting inexpensive tape drives?
+-----
What costs $2,500? Bell's tape unit w/software to drive it for SCO
Xenix, and Microport UNIX is only a little over $1,000.  BTW this unit
works under DOS as well for those of you that have a DOS partition or
an extra fixed disk.

--
ron@vsedev.VSE.COM	(Ron Flax)
UUCP:	..!seismo!vsedev!ron

al@tipnis.UUCP (Alfonso J. Marmora) (07/05/87)

In article <479@qiclab.UUCP>, neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steven C. Neighorn) writes:
> In article <6102@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> >
> >One of the people here has the same problem (more or less). When
> >running UUCP at 9600 baud to a VAX, he frequently gets a "double panic"
> >and tss dies.
>                                        Under what conditions were your
> 9600 baud problems occurring? It would be nice to get these double panic
> causes nailed down. Thanks in advance.

I have my Microport system polling a HP-9000/500 on port tty0.  Port tty1
is unused, uucico and a shell are the only processes running.  At 9600 baud,
the system crashes with a "Double panic: tss fault" after about 10 minutes
into the file transfer (consistently).  I tried both the standard kernel and
the "large" kernel with versions 2.2.2L and 2.2.2U with the same results.
The problem has not (yet) occurred at lower baud rates.

--
Al Marmora                             Tipnis Software Systems
Manager Systems Software/Hardware      10815 Indeco Drive