[comp.unix.questions] troff previewer for AT&T 5620

harv%KSUVAX1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (06/16/87)

Does anyone know if troff output can be previewed on an AT&T 5620?
I am primarily interested in previewing documents which utilize pic,
eqn, and/or tbl.  Does the 5620 come with such software, or does it
have to be purchased separately?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
______________________________________
Harvard Townsend, Systems Manager
Kansas State University, Dept. of Computer Science
Manhattan, KS 66506   (913)532-6350
CSNET:  harv@kansas-state -or- harv%kansas-state@relay.cs.net
BITNET: harv@ksuvax1.bitnet -or- harv%ksuvax1.bitnet@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
UUCP:   ihnp4!wnuxa!ksuvax1!harv

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <7863@brl-adm.ARPA> harv%KSUVAX1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Harvard Townsend) writes:
>Does anyone know if troff output can be previewed on an AT&T 5620?

Yes, there is a software package (one of three for the DMD available under
separate licenses from AT&T) called "5620 DMD Text & Graphics" that includes
the "proof" troff postprocessor, for viewing troff output, and "cip", an
interactive pic-file editor.

Another, less satisfactory, way to view troff output on a DMD is by use of
the "tc" troff postprocessor in a "tek4014" layer.  "tek4014" is included
in the basic "5620 DMD Core" host software package.  (The third software
package is "5620 DMD Application Development", i.e. cross-compiler etc.)

tab%cubes.UCI.EDU@ROME.UCI.EDU (Tracey Baker) (06/17/87)

Yes, there is a pregram called 'proof' that does exactly what you
want.  I first saw it while at Bell Laboratories, and more recently
in AT&T's Technical Publications Dept.  Since I've only seen it
inside AT&T, I don't know if it is available to the public, but I
do know that it exists.  I may be able to dig up some more info on
this if you can't find it on your own, but I would suggest you talk
to your friendly neighborhood AT&T sales rep. and ask him/her about it.

---------
   Tracey Baker                             |
   Dept. of Information & Computer Science  |
   University of California, Irvine         | ARPA:tab@ics.uci.edu
   Irvine, CA 92717                         | UUCP:{whatever}!ucbvax!ucivax!tab
   (714) 856-4034                           |

"There ain't no cure when the rabid rock dog bites..."
----------

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (06/21/87)

>>Does anyone know if troff output can be previewed on an AT&T 5620?
>
>Yes, there is a software package called "5620 DMD Text & Graphics" that
>includes the "proof" troff postprocessor, for viewing troff output, and
>"cip", an interactive pic-file editor.

Before you plunk down your hard-earned cash, be aware of the following:

- You'll need DWB 2.0.

- proof(1) does *not* understand the line drawing functions; hence it cannot
  display pic(1) data or cip(1) output.

- cip(1) is a reasonably useful visual frontend for pic(1), however its output
  needs a fair amount of massaging before running through troff(1). And if you
  try to cip(1) a pic file that you've already cleaned up, cip(1) will destroy
  all your cleanup. Also, cip(1) only understands a subset of the pic(1) con-
  structs, so it generally cannot edit pic files that it did not create. I
  settled on generating my initial drawings with cip(1), and then using vi for
  subsequent changes.

- As provided by AT&T in version 2.0, one critical font file is broken, and
  proof(1) regularly crashes the DMD and hoses the serial line. (On the 3B it
  meant running to the console to manually kill stranded processes; at least
  on the Pyramid it died gracefully.) We have been unable to squeeze a fixed
  font out of AT&T, and fixing the bugs would be a fairly significant job for
  which no one around here has had time. (The fact that AT&T is replacing the
  5620 with a vastly better terminal has contributed to the ho-hum factor.)

All in all, proof(1) and cip(1) were so irritating to use that our Tech Pubs
people preferred to waste paper on the laser printer. On the other hand, we
have customers who think proof(1) and cip(1) are the neatest thing since
sliced bread. So, if you get a chance to try before you buy, please do. We
didn't like it; maybe you will. BTW, price is $2000 for source, $200 for bin.

<csg>

mrm@homxc.UUCP (M.MOROSES) (06/23/87)

In article <3179@pyramid.UUCP>, csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
> >>Does anyone know if troff output can be previewed on an AT&T 5620?
> >
> >Yes, there is a software package called "5620 DMD Text & Graphics" that
> >includes the "proof" troff postprocessor, for viewing troff output, and
> >"cip", an interactive pic-file editor.
>
> Before you plunk down your hard-earned cash, be aware of the following:
>
> - You'll need DWB 2.0.
>
> - proof(1) does *not* understand the line drawing functions; hence it cannot
>   display pic(1) data or cip(1) output.

    No. I have used proof in the past, and it displays "pic" figures quite
        nicely.

> - cip(1) is a reasonably useful visual frontend for pic(1). . .
>
> - As provided by AT&T in version 2.0, one critical font file is broken, and
>   proof(1) regularly crashes the DMD and hoses the serial line. (On the 3B it
>   meant running to the console to manually kill stranded processes ...

    I never had any such problems.

> All in all, proof(1) and cip(1) were so irritating to use that our Tech Pubs
> people preferred to waste paper on the laser printer. On the other hand, we
> have customers who think proof(1) and cip(1) are the neatest thing since
> sliced bread. So, if you get a chance to try before you buy, please do. We
> didn't like it; maybe you will. BTW, price is $2000 for source, $200 for bin.

    I switched a few months ago from a 5620 to a PC.  I'm *still* looking
for the PC-equivalent of proof (previewing troff output) and I've yet
to find anything close.  I guess it depends on how close your laser printer
is, and how many printer-hogs are contending for it!

> <csg>

  <mrm>

--
Michael R. Moroses   AT&T Bell Laboratories  ihnp4!homxc!mrm

sft@ihlpa.UUCP (06/23/87)

|> >Yes, there is a software package called "5620 DMD Text & Graphics" that
|> >includes the "proof" troff postprocessor, for viewing troff output, and
|> >"cip", an interactive pic-file editor.
|>
|> Before you plunk down your hard-earned cash, be aware of the following:
|>
|> - You'll need DWB 2.0.
|>
|> - proof(1) does *not* understand the line drawing functions; hence it cannot
|>   display pic(1) data or cip(1) output.

Proof does infact work with pic.  Pic is only a preprocessor for troff,
proof only deals with troff output!  Not pic.

	Use:	pic picfile | troff | proof

  Scott Thompson (IHP 2A-428), AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il. 60566

       VOICE: (312)-416-4236     UUCP: ...!ihnp4!ihlpa!sft

>In article <3179@pyramid.UUCP>, csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
> - You'll need DWB 2.0.

No, TITROFF, DITROFF, and DWB 1.0 can also be used.  If you're serious
about UNIX "typesetting" you'll already have a version of device-independent
troff anyway.

Scott Thompson corrected the other major misstatement.

To be sure, "proof" and especially "cip" do have some problems, but we find
them very useful nevertheless.

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (07/01/87)

>> - proof(1) does *not* understand the line drawing functions; hence it cannot
>>   display pic(1) data or cip(1) output.
>
>Proof does infact work with pic.  Pic is only a preprocessor for troff,
>proof only deals with troff output!  Not pic.

I know how pic works. It uses a line drawing facility that was new in ditroff;
you can't use pic with the old CAT troff, for example. My claim was that proof
crashed the terminal when it saw these new line drawing functions.

Either way, I was still wrong.

I dunno what I was smoking last time I used proof. I brought in all the same
software from my archive tape, and it displayed some very complex pic drawings
flawlessly. I even used the same output files that I'd swear crashed the DMD
last time. Software that improves with age? :-) Doug Gwyn also supplied me
with a copy of the broken I.12 font, so now I can get some work done.

But my other complaints still stand. Using cip again, I'd completely forgotten
how cumbersome its user interface is. Try before you buy. And for gosh sakes
do get dmd-pgmg from the UNIX Toolchest. $125 for source. The biggest bargain
left in System V. (But you'll need 5620 SGS to compile it.)

<csg>

ted@braggvax.arpa (07/07/87)

>From: "Carl S. Gutekunst" <csg@pyramid.uucp>
>
>I know how pic works. It uses a line drawing facility that was new in ditroff;
>you can't use pic with the old CAT troff, for example. My claim was that proof
>crashed the terminal when it saw these new line drawing functions.

Actually, you can use PIC with CAT troff.  In the version we got when I was
at usceast, there was a flag you could throw while compiling Pic to make it
use the old CAT troff dot drawing functions or some such.  I don't think this
was mentioned anywhere but in the code.  (And the comment there was something
like "They tell me backwards compatability is important").

				Ted Nolan
				ted@braggvax.arpa