[comp.unix.questions] Connecting Apple Lazer Writer to Unix 4.2

Bell@VALLECITO.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (Michael Bell) (07/14/87)

Does anyone have any information on how to connect a apple lazer writer
to unix running 4.2.   Most of my users are interested in getting an
apple printer connected to our unix machines.

Any help welcome.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/14/87)

In <8277@brl-adm.ARPA> Bell@VALLECITO.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (Michael Bell) writes:
> Does anyone have any information on how to connect a apple lazer writer
> to unix running 4.2.

	We've been running Adobe's TranScript package for the past couple
of years; seems to work fine.  A few minor bugs but nothing major.
All-in-all, better then most commercial software.  We don't have any
official software support contract but the folks at Adobe have been pretty
good about giving us help on the rare occasions things don't work right.

	We've got 2 LW's and an LW+ serving a 4.3BSD VAX and a bunch of 3.0
and 3.2 (i.e. 4.2 based) Sun-3's on an Ethernet.  One of the LW's is
directly connected to the VAX, the others to Suns, but you can't tell which
is which because lpr hides all that.  The TranScript package includes the
low-level stuff (lpr filters) and the front-end stuff (troff, ditroff, and
plot to PS converters) along with the needed font description files, etc.
Installation is pretty easy if you know your way around lpr.

	Now that we're starting to get into Mac's, we've got a Kinetics
FastPath box on order (should be here any day) so the AppleTalk Macs and
the TCP/IP/Ethernet Unix machines can share the LW's.

	I understand that Pipeline Associates have a similar package called
devps.  From what I hear it has some advantages over TranScript (and it's
cheaper too, I think) but I don't have any hands-on experience.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) (07/15/87)

in article <2788@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) says:
> In <8277@brl-adm.ARPA> Bell@VALLECITO.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (Michael Bell) writes:
>> Does anyone have any information on how to connect a apple lazer writer
>> to unix running 4.2.
> 	I understand that Pipeline Associates have a similar package called
> devps.  From what I hear it has some advantages over TranScript (and it's
> cheaper too, I think) but I don't have any hands-on experience.

Also, EROFF from Elan Computer Group supports PostScript. Complete packages
including DWB 2.0 or just a PostScript driver are available. There are also
special macros included for including PostScript code and easily making text
flow around the graphics. For more info, write or call.

Jeff Lo
..!{ames,hplabs}!elan!jlo
ELAN Computer Group, Inc.
410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A,  Palo Alto,  CA 94306,  (415) 322-2450