[comp.unix.questions] Todd Brunhoff's rfs

steve@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Steve Lademann) (07/13/87)

I'm thinking of putting up Todd Brunhoff's remote file system (rfs) on our
dual VAX11/750 4.3BSD configuration. Anyone got any comments to make about
it? Anybody got any patches to fix problems that I might come across?

Anticipatory Thanks,

|Steve Lademann		|Phone: 44 727 59292 x326		|
|Marconi Instruments Ltd|UUCP : ...mcvax!ukc!hrc63!miduet!steve	|
|St. Albans    AL4 0JN	|NRS  : steve@uk.co.gec-mi-at		|

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) (07/16/87)

In article <634@gec-mi-at.co.uk> steve@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Steve Lademann) writes:
>I'm thinking of putting up Todd Brunhoff's remote file system (rfs) on our
>dual VAX11/750 4.3BSD configuration. Anyone got any comments to make about
>it? Anybody got any patches to fix problems that I might come across?

I have installed rfs on 4.3BSD and it took a bit of work.  The 4.3
diffs, despite what they claimed, were aparently against an earlier,
possibly pre-release, version of 4.3.  I had to do quite a bit of
adjusting to get the patches to install.  There were also a few changes
to the scripts.

I got it installed and wouldn't want to be without it.  It does have the
crash on exec of a remote executable problem.  Apparently the 4.2
release had the same problem but a fix was released.  I have not been
able to track down the bug so we just work around it.  (Does anyone have
the fix that was sent out for the initial 4.2 version?)

I could mail you the diffs to the diffs or whatever if you want them.

					Jerry Aguirre
					Systems Administration
					Olivetti ATC