[comp.unix.questions] 4.2BSD directory routines on SV???

jpage@rruxa.UUCP (J Page) (07/14/87)

	Anyone know of a Public Domain version of the 4.2BSD directory
	routines(opendir, readdir, scandir, closedir, mkdir) that
	will run in an SV environment???

	I've heard they exist but haven't been able to locate the src.

	Thanks in advance,

	Jim Page

	ihnp4!bellcore!rruxe!jpage

ekrell@hector..UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (07/15/87)

In article <276@rruxa.UUCP> jpage@rruxa.UUCP (J Page) writes:

>	Anyone know of a Public Domain version of the 4.2BSD directory
>	routines(opendir, readdir, scandir, closedir, mkdir) that
>	will run in an SV environment???

System V Release 3 has all the directory routines in the C library.
mkdir is not one of them, however.

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill

    {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (07/17/87)

In article <276@rruxa.UUCP> jpage@rruxa.UUCP (J Page) writes:
>	Anyone know of a Public Domain version of the 4.2BSD directory
>	routines(opendir, readdir, scandir, closedir, mkdir) that
>	will run in an SV environment???
>
>	ihnp4!bellcore!rruxe!jpage

If you are running System V.3, then the directory read routines are
already in the library.  Now the key is to upgrade to a decent version...
Or you could write your own (very easily).  Perhaps if you glanced
at a piece of V.3 code, it would help.  But for that, you'd
need a source license... Catch 22.
The company and all my associates and friends and ESPECIALLY the
government put me up to say all this useless trash.
MikeP    {seismo|sdcrdcf}!ism780c!mikep "Some of my best friends are Bigots..."

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (07/17/87)

In article <2733@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> ekrell@ulysses (Eduardo Krell) writes:
>System V Release 3 has all the directory routines in the C library.
>mkdir is not one of them, however.

	My SysVr3 manual documents a mkdir(2) system call.

>    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill

	One System, It Works?

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

In article <6883@ism780c.UUCP> mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) writes:
>In article <276@rruxa.UUCP> jpage@rruxa.UUCP (J Page) writes:
>>	Anyone know of a Public Domain version of the 4.2BSD directory
>>	routines(opendir, readdir, scandir, closedir, mkdir) that
>>	will run in an SV environment???
>If you are running System V.3, then the directory read routines are
>already in the library.  Now the key is to upgrade to a decent version...
>Or you could write your own (very easily).  Perhaps if you glanced
>at a piece of V.3 code, it would help.  But for that, you'd
>need a source license... Catch 22.

Some people haven't been paying attention.  The SVR3.0 directory routines
were derived from an earlier public-domain version I supplied, which I
recently totally revamped so that common sources would fit all UNIX
variants; I posted the new version to comp.sources in early May.  The "UFS"
(original UNIX directory structure, as in System V) variant did not correctly
handle 14-character-long filenames; however my current version of this package
does.  It is available free upon request.  There is no need to reinvent this
particular wheel.

By the way, I disagree with scandir()'s design and did not provide it (it
is not required by POSIX).

	- Gwyn@BRL.MIL

ekrell@hector..UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (07/18/87)

In article <1311@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>>mkdir is not one of them, however.
>
>	My SysVr3 manual documents a mkdir(2) system call.

I meant to say mkdir has nothing to do with the directory reading routines...

dougm@ico.UUCP (Doug McCallum) (07/18/87)

In article <2733@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> ekrell@ulysses (Eduardo Krell) writes:
>In article <276@rruxa.UUCP> jpage@rruxa.UUCP (J Page) writes:

>System V Release 3 has all the directory routines in the C library.
>mkdir is not one of them, however.

And they aren't fully compatible with the 4.2 BSD version either.
The data structure returned by readdir is different.  No namelen field.
Other than that, they are there.

In article <1359@ico.UUCP> dougm@ico.UUCP (Doug McCallum) writes:
>And they aren't fully compatible with the 4.2 BSD version either.

Well, they couldn't very well be, could they?  After all, Bezerkeley
decided to reuse the name "struct direct" for a different animal.
One cannot reasonably use this name for two different critters on
the same system!  AT&T's implementation is practically POSIX-compliant
(as is the one I posted, which can be used in native BSD environments
and which SHOULD eventually replace McKusick's).