[comp.unix.questions] noisy vi

mellman@ttrdd.UUCP (Thomas Mellman) (07/17/87)

Does anybody know why the macro facility of vi is so noisy, and/or
what I can do about it?

I define a lot of the special function keys on my terminal to be
various things, like cursor keys to scroll, and the equal sign to
be a non-shifted go-to-end-of-line.  It's great, but I'm always getting
completely irrelevant bells.  Not always, but roughly 50% of all
macro operations generate a bell.

The bells occur with operations on short lines as well as long, and with
noerrorbells set or cleared.  It's a puzzle.

ihnp4!ttrdd!mellman

kimcm@olamb.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) (07/20/87)

In article <192@ttrdd.UUCP>, mellman@ttrdd.UUCP (Thomas Mellman) writes:
> Does anybody know why the macro facility of vi is so noisy, and/or
> what I can do about it?

Well, if you're really tired of hearing all those bells change the
termcap/terminfo entry for the terminal(s) in question.

The variable you'll need to set is vb (termcap) flash (terminfo) to
either a string that will make your screen flash (best solution) or
some sting that will do absolutely nothing on the screen (assuming your
screen can't do flashing).

					Kim Chr. Madsen.