[comp.unix.questions] rn installation problems under Eunice

nvarma@ncoast.UUCP (Narendra Varma) (07/20/87)

I am trying to setup USENET on a VAX 11/780 under Eunice. I have managed
to get pathalias and the news software compiled and working successfully.
However, I am having problems with 'rn'

Specifically, I ran the Configure script (thank God for them!) and then
make as instructed. It all ran beautifully and rn seemed to work perfectly.
I ran it a couple of times to test it and then suddenly it stopped working
without any apparent reason. I have tried remaking, etc. and made sure that
my news software works perfectly.

The specific error occurs upon startup:

         getwd: cannot open ..

         Caught an internal error-- .newsrc restored

I tried messing around with directory protections but nothing seems to
work. I am making and trying to run the software from an account with
all privileges, so I assume that privileges is not the problem.

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any pointers regarding this
matter. Please mail any replies to me directly, and I will post a summary
to the net if there is sufficient interest.

--Narendra Varma

  UUCP: ...cbosgd!musky2!nvarma
  CSNet: ccvarma%muskingum.edu@relay.cs.net

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (07/20/87)

In article <3256@ncoast.UUCP> nvarma@ncoast.UUCP (Narendra Varma) writes:

>I am trying to setup USENET on a VAX 11/780 under Eunice. I have managed
>to get pathalias and the news software compiled and working successfully.
>However, I am having problems with 'rn'
>

>The specific error occurs upon startup:
>
>         getwd: cannot open ..
>
>         Caught an internal error-- .newsrc restored

   This really belongs in the eunice news group, but,.....

   The first thing I would check is the root in sys$system
   if the root exists, make sure dev is there also. Is all of
   Eunice configured correctly?

   Check to see that you have the most current version of rn, older
   versions that I tried did not work. I have gotten rrn from the
   nntp distributions to work properly. I experienced so many problems
   with uucp and stuff that we decided to trash that part of it and
   go with the rrn stuff using a real unix machine to do the news
   transfers. (I did get uucp to work properly on a 780 that wasn't
   in a cluster.) Another interesting point is fortune. I ported it
   successfully to Eunice put it only works properly for the person
   who owns it. In my case the system user.

   mark

--
    edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu
    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards